Materials Engineer - Surfaces / Electroplating
Shenzhen, Guangdong, China
At Apple, we believe our products begin with our people. By hiring a team with varied strengths, we drive creative thought. By giving that team everything they need, we drive innovation. By hiring incredible engineers, we drive precision. And through our collaborative process, we build memorable experiences for our customers. These elements come together to make Apple an amazing environment for motivated people to do the greatest work of their lives. You will become part of a hands-on development team that sets the standard in cultivating excellence, creativity and innovation. Will you help us design the next generation of revolutionary Apple products? As a member of the Alloy Engineering team at Apple, you will help create the next generation of the world's finest consumer electronic devices. You will drive the rapid advancement of high performance electroplated surfaces that enable many of our product features. This position will interface within Alloy Engineering and directly with other Product Design and Operations teams, and with electroplating suppliers and contract manufacturers in Asia to advance and shape Apple’s advanced materials.
- Experience leading electroplating related coating projects including application and technology development on a variety of substrates for functional or cosmetic purposes
- Experience with surface analysis and characterization equipment and techniques
- Understanding of materials and surface science fundamentals to lead electroplating design, technology development and failure analysis projects
- Experience with process optimization and qualification for mass production
- Flexibility and comfort working in a fast-paced environment
- Travel to vendors and development partners is required 25-50% of the time
- 8+ years of post-graduate work experience is required
- Proficient oral and written communication in Mandarin and English
This position within the Alloy Engineering team will directly support hardware teams and lead development projects related to electroplating applied to Apple alloy substrates. Responsibilities will include a leading role in plating application development and identifying, developing, and applying new plating technologies for Apple products. This includes supporting qualification of new plating solutions, developing engineering and materials specifications, and supporting failure analysis on existing processes using strong materials science and plating fundamentals. The candidate will have experience in the application and design of plating stacks, and in developing technologies in this space, preferably with a background in chemistry, materials engineering, surface science, or physics with a particular emphasis on understanding relationships between plating process, structure and properties. An understanding of manufacturing, operations, process qualification and process control is also important for this position. Experience with a variety of surface analysis and characterization techniques and equipment is essential. The successful candidate must posses the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously with competing priorities. The candidate must be able to travel to visit Apple suppliers in Asia.
Education & Experience
A minimum of B.S. in Materials Science, Metallurgy, Chemistry or Physics or a related field is required. M.S. or Ph.D. is preferred