Sr. Display SW Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
Apple’s GPU Software team provides the graphics software foundation across all of Apple's innovative products, including iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Mac, and Apple Watch. Our responsibilities encompass the frameworks, developer tools, and device drivers for the GPU and Display on all of Apple’s hardware. This team recently announced Metal 2 which provides near-direct access to the graphics processing unit (GPU), enabling you to maximize the graphics and compute potential of apps on iOS, macOS, watchOS, and tvOS. Building upon an efficient low-overhead architecture with precompiled shaders, fine-grained resource control, and multithreading support, Metal 2 further boosts performance by enabling the GPU to take more control of the rendering pipeline. Moving beyond just graphics, Metal 2 provides deep support for GPU-accelerated machine learning and offers enhanced developer tools that make it even easier to debug, optimize, and deploy Metal apps. On Mac, Metal 2 adds support for virtual reality (VR) rendering and external GPUs, and provides new APIs and optimizations to help developers embrace these emerging technologies within their apps.
- The ideal candidate will have 5+ years of kernel driver or systems development experience, solid experience with x86 assembler, superior debugging skillset, a passion for solving complex problems.
- Experience working with kernel-mode device-drivers and debugging.
- Development experience on MacOS X, Unix, Linux, Solaris, IRIX, or Windows
- Excellent programming skills and knowledge of C/C++
- Excellent software design, problem solving, and debugging skills
- Excellent knowledge of system architecture
The Display Driver Infrastructure team within IMG delivers the display infrastructure Software and support for Apple's computers. We are looking for a top-notch, driven, dedicated driver or system engineers to join our growing team. You will be a highly efficient problem solver with a passion for problem resolution, have a collaborative attitude and a track record for getting the job done. We are looking for innovators, who have a passion for groundbreaking technologies and driven to implement the best solutions. As a core member of this team you will have responsibilities spanning all aspects of display software development (architecture, design, development, debug and deployment): - Own feature design, implementation, triage and delivery of display related technologies. - Partner with both internal teams and external teams on display driver architecture and implementation. - Participate in driving internally and externally visible advances in the macOS display experience. - Development and triage of display technologies for new product development.
Education & Experience
Technical BS/MS degree
- •Experience designing or implementing device drivers.
- •Experience with FPGA, firmware development or hardware simulators.
- •In depth knowledge of: display stack, display drivers, video formats, power management strategies, backlight.
- •Experience completing projects and delivering software to customers.
- Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.