Software Development Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
Are you a big-picture thinker who loves setting ambitious goals? Do you have a passion for understanding how each line of code affects all the others? In the Core Operating Systems group ensuring the OS is inseparable from each device’s identity as a whole. That’s because this group is committed to building fully integrated operating systems that combine hardware, software, and apps into a single Apple experience. Your dedication to cross-disciplinary collaboration will help develop groundbreaking technologies, such as iOS, macOS, watchOS, and tvOS. By crafting these distinct, holistic user experiences, you’ll continue to uphold and advance the excellence people expect from Apple devices. The Storage Systems team within Apple's Core OS organization is looking for a talented and inspired Quality Engineer to work on the Storage Systems Quality Team. The team is responsible for validation and support of file systems, and storage system drivers on both iOS and macOS. This position’s primary focus will be supporting network file systems but include work on the new APFS file system. Understanding of our teams other deliverables is desirable. You will work hands-on with a team of quality and development engineers on the validation of new features, protocols, and hardware, as well as provide world-class support for existing deployments.
- • A solid understanding of modern File Systems and potential issues.
- • Excellent understanding and ability in a scripting language such as Python, Bash, Ruby, LUA, Perl.
- • Should be able to use scripting ability to create new automation tests as needed.
- • QA experience and strong understanding of testing methodologies preferred.
- • Ability to write Test case and Test Plans from Engineering documentation.
- • Able to support Engineering team with triage, debugging and validation of software issues.
- • Comfortable in working with cross-functional teams to drive efficient bug resolution.
- • Ability to work independently and be proactive in task completions.
- • Highly professional with the ability to deliver solid work on tight schedules.
- • Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- • Excellent organizational skills.
- • Must be detail oriented.
You will join a dynamic team responsible for qualifying the latest Apple Products with a focus on file systems and storage. We work hand in hand with the Software Development Engineering teams to support code changes, focusing on increasing the depth and breadth of related tests in both an automated and hands on manner. The successful candidate will complete both documented and ad hoc testing to ensure high quality releases for all our products They will also be responsible for adding to automation and test documentation as new features are implemented.
Education & Experience
BS/MS in Computer Science or related field
- Experience setting up and testing Network Shares.
- Exposure to HFS+, APFS, or Network File System internals.
- Familiarity with SMB protocols and testing.
- Familiarity with Source Control Management with svn or git