Maps Platform Java Software Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
A job at Apple is unlike any other you’ve had. You’ll be challenged inspired, and you will be proud. Maps do more than just get us from point A to point B. They let us know where we stand in the world, help define our communities, and highlight what is of cultural importance to us. Tasked with building the world’s best map you will use large data sets, distributed processing systems, domain expertise, and top-notch development skills to ensure a complete and accurate map. Are you looking for passionate, creative software engineering role motivated by challenging problems of scale that impact every Maps user? If so, we want to meet you! Location for position can be in either Sunnyvale, CA or Seattle, WA.
- You have exceptional object-oriented programming skills – Java or Scala preferred
- You posses solid development experience with distributed systems and highly scalable environments
- You are a spark expert with hands-on experience performance tuning for large datasets
- A track record of developing and delivering high quality software in a collaborative team environment
- Excellent analytical and debugging skills
- Great solutions come from talented engineers with diverse backgrounds and at all levels
- A real passion for maps!
Our team combines disparate signals such as data analytics, community engagement, and user feedback to improve the Maps Platform. Fusing all those sources to provide a great map experience happens through complex data pipelines managing numerous distributed processing steps. Making the most optimal use of Spark at every step of the pipeline is critical to efficiently handle the vast amounts of data needed to improve the map. Direct responsibilities include understanding Spark use cases at every step in our pipeline, optimizing data throughput to increase velocity, and providing Spark mentorship and technical support to other team members. Along a very good understanding of Spark's quirks and features, successful candidates will have exceptional engineering and communication skills, as well as a belief that data-driven feedback leads to great products.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s / Master’s degree in CS or related field
- The following are nice to have:
- - Experience with distributed geographical systems
- - Experience with OpenStreetMap
- - Experience with Hadoop ecosystem such as HDFS, YARN and Hive
- - Deep understanding of Hadoop file formats such as SequenceFiles or Parquet Files
- - Experience in creating large scale ETL pipelines