Engineering Program Manager - PIE, Databases
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Operations and Supply Chain
Come help us build the next generation cloud platform to support internet services across Apple. Our engineering project management team partners closely with a high-performing server engineering team to develop and deploy software which forms the foundation for some of our most exciting services, including iCloud, Maps, iTunes, and more. Our software ensures that Apple's services are reliable, scalable, performant, and secure. We support both open source and homegrown technologies to provide internal Apple developers with the best possible platform. We have the rare opportunity to own and deliver software at a humongous scale, larger than you will find at nearly any other company on Earth.
- At least 5 years of project/program management experience in a cloud software development group.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills written and verbal, to all levels of an organization and to external partners and customers.
- Experience working with customers/developers to help define requirements and implement a solution architecture.
- Natural drive for identifying process inefficiencies and driving towards changes to address them.
- Strong technical proficiency in server architecture and development.
- Naturally accountable and responsible.
- Self-starter, self-motivated, self-directed, self-sufficient.
- Strong facilitations skills (requirements sessions; design meetings; progress and status meetings).
- Great at prioritization and applying sound, data-based judgement to weigh trade-offs.
- Bonus points for experience with databases or past programming experience.
We are looking for an expert project manager who thrives in a fast-paced environment, and is adept at turning ambiguity into action. We're looking for people who enjoy diving deep into the technology, with a proven record of shipping complex, cross- functional projects under demanding timelines. This is a hands-on position where you will be expected to drive all aspects of deployment, including requirements definition, vendor qualification, financial analysis, capacity planning, technical design discussions and documentation, testing, working with partners in data centers, deploying large scale systems, and operating and monitoring services with the expectation of high reliability and high availability. This is not a task-based job. You will be responsible for successful outcomes and delivery. Strong fundamentals are a requirement, but you have more. You take responsibility and feel a personal stake in the product you ship. You communicate responsibilities and scope clearly. You have extraordinary attention to detail and you value integrity. You handle risk and you work for the success of the entire team. You thrive in uncertainty and strive to bring order to it. You have deep wisdom and judgement and you keep your eye on the keys to success. You build positive relationships and are aware of politics but do not get mired in them. You are constantly looking to improve yourself and the team. We want you if this sounds interesting.
Education & Experience
Prefer a BS/MS in CS or a similar technical field.