Hardware Systems Architect - Apple Watch
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Are you passionate about extraordinary engineering? Will you help us build the next generation of Apple products? Join us in this highly collaborative role, where you will help Apple build state of the art technologies for world-renowned Apple products. You will become an integral part of a team that champions engineering excellence, creativity and innovation. The Apple Watch team is seeking talented electrical engineering technical leadership in a System Architecture team. This is an individual contributor design engineering position.
- Deep expertise in Consumer Electronics will empower you to succeed on our team, and your dedication to quality will help ensure our product is able to surprise and delight countless Apple customers.
- Your embedded programming experience and any scripting expertise (Perl, python, MATLAB, etc.) will prove valuable.
- At some point in your career, we want you to have worked with schematic capture (any package) with placement/routing experience.
- We expect you have excellent communication skills, and are comfortable working on large, diverse teams.
- Excellent documentation skills and attention to detail will be necessary in this role.
- Hands-on experience in prototype bring-up and debugging, functional verification, and manufacturing support is required, as is experience creating and influencing system specification documents.
A Hardware Systems Architect for Apple Watch has core strengths in several functional areas of responsibility and system design. The position empowers you to lead and drive system technical roadmaps. We expect you to oversee and analyze key systems engineering architectural and implementation trade-offs; design of high performance, low power, high quality products; developing pre-net list PCB floor plan feasibility considering package, SI, EMC, and RF issues for place and route guidance; power budgeting and analysis. The role requires strong communication, persuasion, and negotiation skills. You will have the opportunity to mentor other engineers for the best standards, methodologies, and practices in systems development and institutionalized processes. Other responsibilities include: - Review, challenge, and creatively influence product roadmaps across groups. - We work with cross and multi-functional engineering managers and architects on hardware and software-enabling technologies. - Build internal and external system specifications. - Keep current with cutting edge technology trends and vendor roadmaps. - Review, influence, and challenge system performance decisions with new ideas. - Define, simulate, and model product performance vs. power (performance per watt). - Specify, negotiate, and document system power management and user level behaviors. - Define, develop, and utilize tools, scripts, and methods of system analysis. - Guide early system layout studies. - Partner closely with Mechanical Engineering and Industrial Design. - Assess and guide product system integration feasibility, feature and implementation trade-offs of early layout studies. - Utilize schematic and layout tools such as Cadence Concept & Allegro; develop new and novel methods of pre-route guidance. - Assess hi-speed interface needs. Predict and prepare for future product system integration and interconnect needs. - Periodically join hands-on prototype bring-up and debugging efforts as needed on a project-by-project basis. You will work with us from Apple's headquarters in Cupertino, California and participate in domestic and international travel.
Education & Experience
BSEE and/or MSEE required, plus 10 or more years of experience with system-level design.