Metal Ecosystem Development Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
Apple’s GPU Software team provides the graphics software foundation across all of Apple's innovative products, including iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Mac, and Apple Watch. Our responsibilities encompass the frameworks, developer tools, and device drivers for the GPU and Display on Apple’s hardware. Metal 2 provides near-direct access to the graphics processing unit (GPU), enabling you to improve the graphics and compute potential of apps on iOS, macOS, watchOS, and tvOS. Building upon an efficient low-overhead architecture with pre-compiled shaders, fine-grained resource control, and multithreading support, Metal 2 further boosts performance by enabling the GPU to take more control of the rendering pipeline. Moving beyond just graphics, Metal 2's deep support for GPU-accelerated machine learning and improved developer tools make it even easier to debug, optimize, and deploy Metal apps. On Mac, Metal 2 adds support for virtual reality (VR) rendering and external GPUs, and provides new APIs and optimizations to help developers adapt these new technologies within their apps.
- Deep understanding of graphics APIs (e.g., OpenGL, OpenGL ES, DirectX/D3D, etc.) and GPU computing (e.g., OpenCL, CUDA, etc.)
- In-depth knowledge of computer-graphics techniques, game development, and the computer-graphics industry
- Exemplary written and oral communication skills
- Excellent programming skills and knowledge of C/C++
- Knowledge of GPU hardware architectures, and coding for iOS and macOS a major plus
GPUSW's Metal Ecosystem team is now seeking a world-class, driven, and dedicated engineer to work alongside developers to integrate and optimize Metal into their iOS and macOS applications. Are you ready to engage with developers to advance their success using Apple’s tools and technologies related to Metal? Responsibilities: Analyze developers products and report on their use of the Metal API, recommending optimizations, algorithms, and techniques to improve their applications Host developers during in-person engineering sessions You will be a key source for all aspects of Metal application development, including engineering, documentation, training, and relationship management
Education & Experience
Technical BS/MS degree
- Ability to travel (up to 15%)
- Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.