Swift Release Manager
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
Software is at the heart of Apple products, and compilers are central to the process of developing that software. This high-profile position is a unique opportunity to be responsible for the overall task of releasing the Swift compiler. This demands tremendous attention to detail, deep technical expertise across a range of software topics, and the interpersonal skills to drive changes across a large software organization. Release schedules are constrained and success often depends upon quick triage of problems and creative solutions or temporary workarounds.
- Hands-on experience in engineering or DevOps with demonstrated programming skills: Python, Swift, and C++ are preferred, but fluency in any language, plus an ability to learn as needed is sufficient.
- General understanding of compilers and other software tools: Can you explain all of the constraints on where and when changes can happen?
- Curiosity about software and process: Are you intrigued by unfamiliar code that breaks? Do you think critically about how things work, and how to improve them?
- Clear communication and experience working across organizational boundaries.
- Ability to stay focused and prioritize a heavy workload while achieving exceptional quality
- Passion for producing great tools that enable amazing software to be created
- Are you deeply accountable for your work? Your passion for project ownership will prove critical to your success on our team.
- You bring passion and dedication to your job and are committed to our vision and supporting the developer community
New compilers must successfully build all of Apple’s software, so much of the work involves investigating problems that occur when using new compiler versions. Those problems may include outright compiler bugs, latent project issues, language changes, and issues related to new compiler features. Triage and debugging skills are important skills in this role as well as the ability to find creative ways to more quickly reproduce or reduce issues. You will have the opportunity to make coding contributions to one or both compilers, both to implement fixes and gain experience to help with future investigations. You will drive changes across the Apple software stack, helping projects adapt to new language features and diagnostics and fixing bugs uncovered by new compilers. This requires the curiosity to understand unfamiliar projects and the leadership to collaborate successfully with teams focused elsewhere. The ability to communicate and coordinate across a diverse set of organizations is a key to success in this role.
Education & Experience
B.S. in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- • Experience bringing up a new platform or architecture
- • Familiarity with software development for Apple platforms and/or the Swift language
- • Knowledge of LLVM-based compilers and open source development