Software Engineer - iOS, macOS, watchOS - HTTP and Network Performance
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
We are seeking a strong C or C++ developer with a background in networking, with a primary responsibility for HTTP library performance and general network performance. You will be joining the CFNetwork team, a small band of HTTP/1.1, HTTP/2, OS-level and networking experts working in Apple Park in the SW Engineering org. We are responsible for NSURLSession, NSURLConnection, and other Swift and Objective-C APIs. These APIs are a critical part of the networking stack used by Safari/WebKit, iCloud services (including Photos, Drive, and Backup), Messages, App Store, iTunes, Siri, Mail, Calendar, Apple Pay, many more first party, and the vast majority of 3rd party apps. You should be comfortable and excited to work on existing library code critical to the customer experience, as well as designing and implementing new features. The CFNetwork team supports all of Apple's main software platforms — iOS, macOS, watchOS, and tvOS. You will interface with lower-level networking APIs, application-layer features, other system-level frameworks and APIs, and the engineering experts responsible for all of these components.
- Excellent analytical, programming (C or C++), and debugging skills and strong proficiency in multi-threaded development
- Familiarity with any of Cocoa, Swift, Objective-C, iOS/macOS, or cross-platform development
- In-depth knowledge of one or more areas in networking — the team will have expertise in the areas you will be responsible for, but you should be able to learn quickly and provide keen insight, while both driving yourself independently and collaborating well within and outside the team
- Strong understanding of one or more elements of HTTP networking (protocol-level details, cookies, authentication, cache, security, and performance), or ability to come up to speed before interview
We are seeking a talented software engineer to help us to both create and maintain next-generation technologies for Apple's mobile, desktop, wearable, and entertainment platforms. We need a creative engineer with experience developing high-quality products on schedule, strong communication and collaboration skills, and a passion for innovation. In this role you will be responsible for designing and implementing new features, as well as essential work maintaining existing software libraries.
Education & Experience
B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science or equivalent
- Familiarity with software development using Apple developer or cross-platform APIs
- Strong interest in HTTP performance or network performance
- Optional: Network library development, networking research, or networking standards work