Hardware Engineering Manager, Audio Products
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
The Audio Products group is searching for an exceptional candidate to manage a system team tasked with delivering amazing products like AirPods and HomePod; products only Apple could imagine and more importantly deliver. Our team is first and foremost a product team; we play a role in product definition and roadmap, we drive key technologies by partnering with diverse teams of experts, we implement, validate and manufacture the hardware that gives life to beautifully designed and crafted products. To be a successful manager on this team, you must have two foundational attributes: Excellent engineering skills: your team will be a collection of top notch engineers, and they’ll expect you to be able to keep up with them. This means you have deep experience shipping consumer electronics, and you love getting into the details whenever possible. You will need a thoughtful and dynamic personality that enables you to be a leader. You’re comfortable with ambiguity, and skilled in working through it in order to bring clarity to your team and peers. You motivate by building relationships and inspiring others to want to support you and your team. Play a significant role in the development of Apple products, collaborating with virtually every discipline involved in the process: Product Design / Mechanical Engineering Firmware iOS Acoustics Industrial Design EMC, Reliability, Operations, etc. The position is based in Cupertino at Apple's headquarters. Some international travel is required, as our teams go on-site for manufacturing support to ensure success. It's one of the most exciting aspects of the job.
- Management of a team of 3 or more HW engineers, working on 1 to 3 projects simultaneously.
- Architecture development and new technology scoping, including maintenance of vendor relationships.
- Lead your team through the design process of an Apple product, including schematic capture and peer review(s). This work should also serve to evolve that process for the larger org.
- Low level validation is critical to product quality. You’ll organize validation efforts both in Cupertino and in Asia at our contract manufacturers (CM’s).
- Mentor and lead engineers and interns.
- Organize and grow your team through recruiting and interviewing.
- Travel to our CM partners for builds, ensuring proper process and supporting any issues that may arise. You’ll also build teams at the CM and manage their resources to help our efforts there.
- Deliver clear and concise reports and slide decks to communicate the status of projects, and evangelize the work of our team. This typically involves frequent presentations to executives.
Great EE fundamentals. This means you have a deep understanding of why our discipline works the way it does; you've developed an intuition and can apply it to new topics because you understand the basics. Hands-on experience in prototype bring-up and debugging, functional verification. You have an ability to go learn how to quantify and test new technologies. Experience designing high volume products from beginning to end and dealing with contract manufacturers
Education & Experience
BS/MS/PhD in Electrical Engineering or equivalent experience