Manager, Systems Engineering
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Marcom is Apple’s Global Marketing Communications group. We oversee all of Apple’s advertising and marketing to ensure the flawless development and execution of world-class communications. The Manager, Systems Engineering will lead the systems engineering team for http://apple.com. They will participate in the evolution of Apple’s brand by leading the team to drive new thinking and approaches as we continue to transform http://apple.com and partner with interactive leadership as we transform the infrastructure to define and build new initiatives. This is an opportunity to grow a team and work with the rest of the http://apple.com organization to push the boundaries of web technology. The manager of this group must be able to lead the team in all areas including (but not limited to): building software and systems to manage infrastructure and applications through automation, deployment, support and monitoring of new platforms and application stacks, measurement and optimization of system performance, capacity planning and management, explore and evaluate new technologies and solutions to push our capabilities forward, work estimation, working relationships with business owners, and problem mitigation.
- 10+ years experience managing a systems engineering team
- Minimum of 5 years of professional systems engineering experience and 5 years management experience with systems engineering teams working on complex development projects
- Demonstrated background partnering with development teams on innovative backend solutions for dynamic web sites
- Dedicated problem-solver who can work in a fast paced environment where multiple releases are a fact of life
- Experience with database schema design, expertise to critique web architecture designs for performance bottlenecks
- Efficient collaboration with both engineering and design teams to validate technology decisions
- Ability to mature a development organization through productive critique, evangelism, teaching, training, learning, and coaching; grow available resources to maximize both individual potential and group output
- Ability to size technical efforts accurately
- Solid, effective hiring practices to bring new talent to the team
- Established skills with a variety of development methodologies and ability to adapt these to the needs of an organization; Agile experience a plus
- Willingness to take the initiative to solve problems
- Proven capabilities to work under pressure and tight deadlines to solve critical issues
- Able to work equally well with people in creative and technical positions
- Strong oral and written communicator, with good interpersonal skills; able to forge trusting relationships within a diverse team and across organizations
- High skill with of most linux commands/utilities and experience managing linux (*nix) servers in a production environment.
- An understanding of virtualization and containerization as a tool for increasing scalability, reliability, and expediency.
- A working knowledge of networking (TCP/IP) and the ability to manage network services in a *nix environment.
- Hands-on production experience in the following areas:
- Centralized configuration management technologies (Ansible, Puppet, Chef, etc.),
- Network Attached Storage. Prefer experience with Isolon
- Task scheduling (e.g. Aurora) and resource sharing frameworks (e.g. Mesos)
- DevOps/release engineering automation (Jenkins, SCM, Ansible, etc.)
- Virtualization administration (VMWare)
- Application performance tuning and optimization
- Scripting skills: Bash scripting, Python, SQL, Ruby
- Experience with Source Control Systems (Subversion or GIT)
- Load balancing (Netscaler, f5, nginx)
Day to day leadership for the systems engineering team with a focus on driving development for new initiatives, continuing development on existing projects, and employee and team development Partnering with the lead architect and development manager to define the architectural strategy (including application architecture and technologies) for new initiatives Collaborating with other systems development groups with the department and at Apple to consistently apply best-practices Evangelizing technologies across the organization Constantly evaluating the publishing pipeline for http://www.apple.com to improve performance and change as required by new business requirements Understanding existing systems for http://apple.com features and leading the team through refinements, ensuring robust and lasting solutions are implemented Leading resources to provide dev ops support to developer teams to create a sustainable architecture Team resource management, project scheduling, and on-time delivery of solutions Defining and driving tactical work to reach strategic goals Working with the systems engineers at a low level to critique their work
Education & Experience
Undergraduate degree in Computer Science or Engineering is a strong plus.