Packaging Materials Engineering Manager
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
At Apple, the customer experience extends beyond the product itself. Every aspect of product interaction plays a crucial role in and packaging is often the very first one that is encountered. There is a universal joy in unboxing Apple products, and that experience is designed and created by a passionate team that is continually pushing the boundaries of materials and engineering. We are seeking an enthusiastic leader to direct and focus our dynamic team of highly technical Material Engineers in the areas of fiber-based materials (pulp, paper, paperboard, molded fiber, etc.), plastics (extrusions, thin polymer films, adhesives, and non-wovens), inks, and coatings. The Packaging Materials team is directly responsible for the research, development, and design of new materials to use in Apple packaging. The team engages in material selection, characterization, troubleshooting, and the direction of supplier relationships. Our unique position within the organization allows us to closely collaborate with Packaging Product Design engineers on a wide range of products used by millions of people worldwide. You will provide technical mentorship for your direct reports, prioritize resources with the Packaging Leadership team, engage in hands-on project-based work, and strategize regarding supplier relationships. You must be comfortable with ambiguity, and skilled in working through it in order to bring clarity to your teams and peers. Every day, you will engage in collaborative work with a range of communication styles and personalities, utilize your fluency in material structure/properties, testing, and characterization, and leverage advanced knowledge of material and manufacturing processes. We encourage anyone who is passionate about sustainability and the environment, establishing relationships, developing top technical talent, and approaching problem solving with curiosity and imagination to apply. We value people with a desire to learn new skills and a mindset that challenging questions are opportunities for insight. To that end, we are committed to professional development across all aspects of materials and communication, with mentorship and training opportunities both within and outside Apple.
- •5+ years of experience in Materials Engineering and/or Packaging field
- •Experience managing a team of engineers in the materials development process
- •New technology/material scoping, including evaluation of supplier capabilities
- •In-depth understanding of material structure and property/performance relationship
- •Strong background in characterizing and specifying materials and performance in quantitative terms
- •Experience developing materials for high volume manufacturing
- •Ability to juggle multiple projects with overseas vendors
- •Highly effective communication skills; ability to clearly explain complex issues to a variety of audiences, think about the big picture when communicating, and report technical details succinctly
- •Proven track record in peer collaboration and partnerships; willingness to solicit input and accept feedback
- •Working both independently and collaboratively on tight deadlines.
- •Strong attention to detail and resolution to tackle complex problems
Responsibilities and activities for this position include the following: •You will guide and mentor engineers in individual projects and personal development •Organize and strengthen your team through recruiting and interviewing •Establish and manage relationships with manufacturers/suppliers to identify emerging technologies. Collaborate with them on the development of new technologies to meet Apple’s product roadmap needs •Develop impactful environmentally-responsible material solutions. Collaborate with partner industries and companies to explore usage of manufacturing byproducts and waste streams •Collaborate with product design and manufacturing operations groups on material selection, design feasibility and manufacturing process development •Visit factories to fully understand their technical capabilities, quality requirements and resolve difficult production-related issues •Work with operations teams to evaluate and develop supply chain
Education & Experience
•Masters degree or PhD in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Polymer/Materials Science or related fields.