Technical Program Manager
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, we believe new ideas have a way of becoming phenomenal products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. The people here at Apple don’t just create products — they create the kind of wonder that’s revolutionized entire industries. It’s the diversity of those people and their ideas that inspires the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Join Apple, and help us leave the world better than we found it.
- Typically requires at least 5+ years of experience in engineering and manufacturing.
- Meaningful experience in introducing products into manufacturing, or high volume production a large plus.
- Excellent project management skills, experience working in a matrix organization.
- Direct experience leading any of the following functional engineering teams a plus (ME, EE, TE, DFX, Etc.).
- Shown bottom line project management experience. (Planning, Cost, & Delivery).
- Experience working with International OEM partners.
- Ability to travel internationally up to 35%.
- You should have the ability to communicate effectively in a worldwide environment.
- New product introduction and Manufacturing Operations experience desired.
- You should have validated working experience with DFm & DFx
- Proven record of cost reduction, project management and engineering design required.
- Required to understand and tolerance stack ups for assemblies and part level.
- Strong knowledge of GD&T principles a plus
- Working knowledge of pneumatics, servomotors, PLC and PC-based control systems a plus.
- JMP, Minitab & Six Sigma experience a plus.
It takes deeply dedicated, intelligent and hard-working individuals to maintain and exceed the high expectations for the exciting brand at Apple. You will manage a team of engineers (DFx, DFm, test, SQE, PQE, etc.) and others in support of new product development as well as sustaining operations and ensuring the contract manufacturer readiness for very high volume production. The TPM team is a highly transparent operations team responsible for ensuring factory readiness to mass-manufacture high quality products. Broadly, this translates into the following functions: • Ensuring Design for Manufacturability: Working closely with engineering teams through the entire development cycle to ensure that not only is the design robust, but that it is manufacturable in high-volumes. This entails understanding new technologies, structural/mechanical design and an ability to influence through data/statistics based insights. • Contract-Manufacturer (CM) Readiness: Work with the CapEx, Fixture (Automation / Manual) and Factory teams at every build to ensure that the fixtures needed for assembling the product and the test stations for testing them are in place and qualified; SOP for assembling products are ready and the operators are trained. • Yield management: Own the team to triage all yield hitters and drive Failure Analysis (FA) to understand if the issues are on account of Design/Process/Part-quality and drive the responsible teams to address the issue. • Communication: Synthesize information on the program (product readiness for mass-production, factory readiness, relevant, trade-offs, impact on development milestones) into concise communication for Senior Management. Responsibilities: • Driving contract manufacturer preparation for pre-production builds. • Production process development, documentation, optimization and validation. • Development and implementation of new technologies to improve production quality, capacity and efficiency. • Sets standard practices and independently settles impact to design approaches and parameters to the final product. • Provides direction, mentorship and resources to other engineering groups and project leaders as well as factory technicians. • Act as lead engineer on a variety of projects and participates in the project planning of major sub-projects. • Performs assignments in several of the following manufacturing engineering functions: • Design for Manufacturability - Provide early and ongoing manufacturing involvement to ensure manufacturability of new products. • Product Engineering - Works all phases of a product from concept to repeat manufacturing to end of life. Provides production support engineering with respect to technically complex testing methods, procedures and failure analysis. • Process Engineering - Designs and develops technically complex processes to improve quality and efficiency. • Failure/Data Analysis - Plans, develops and implements technically complex procedures for the testing and evaluation of soon to be released products. Specifies test to be performed, compiles data and makes recommendations for product design changes and final assembly standards. This will include the use of Design of Experiments (DOE) and statistical analysis using Six Sigma principles. • Provide regular VP level communication of technical health of program.
Education & Experience
MS or BS in related Engineering discipline, MBA a plus.