Software Engineer/Maps Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
Apple is looking for an experienced maps engineer. You'll analyze geospatial data, automate processes, and deploy test frameworks in support of Apple Maps evaluation. Our team is focused on communicating the quality data generated internally for our customers. Our team has a combination of relevant job skills. Realms including traffic engineering, GIS, data analysis, and collection and analysis of remotely-sensed data are relevant. You will develop and maintain test frameworks to deploy our testing to our customers, support the development of web dashboards, and analyze map data in new and insightful ways. Every single day you will be working with extraordinary engineers, software developers, and data engineers, helping us to deliver the best map that we can. We're looking for a talented and passionate person to join this amazing team, if you feel this is you, we'd love to hear from you.
- You have a minimum 5 years experience in a maps production organization.
- At least 2-3 of those years experience working in a quality assurance/quality control-type role in a mapping organization.
- You have demonstrated skill in evaluating the spatial consistency and accuracy - as well as data model conformance - of maps data.
- You possess intermediate-to-expert-level python proficiency.
- Experience using libraries such as shapely, pandas, numpy, PySAL
- Intermediate-level experience working with spatial databases, specifically postgreSQL databases and postGIS functionality; also interested in experience with similar technologies including RDBMS/ArcSDE/geodatabases.
- You are Comfortable with GDAL/OGR data processing.
- If you have front-end web development background that will be a plus.
- You can discuss and implement fundamental mapping principals such as: Coordinate systems, projections, datums, spatial data-types.
Your unique blend of GIS skills, testing frameworks, automation, and web development experience. Specifically, you should be experienced in working with professional mapping organizations, someone who is passionate about improving maps quality while being able to diplomatically communicate our findings to our internal partners, and someone who is always looking for innovative ways to solve new (and old) mapping problems.
Education & Experience
A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Geography, GIS, Mathematics, Engineering, or a related field. Advanced degrees are preferred but not required, especially with significant job experience.