Manufacturing Quality Engineer (MQE) PVD/CVD Coatings
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Location: Cupertino, CA Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, great ideas have a way of becoming great products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. Job Summary Our quality engineering team enables the mass creation of impossible products as a partner in the development of Apple's renowned designs. Develop and implement coatings that achieve meaningful cosmetic and functional requirements in our highly visible designs. Work with Apple’s Industrial Design, Product Design & Reliability Engineering teams to create working specifications related to coating processes.
- 5+ years of experience in hands-on development of PVD, DLC and CVD coatings in Mass Production Environment
- Experience establishing and validating Reliability requirements for decorative and functional coatings
- Expertise using advanced analytical metrology techniques (such as XRF, SEM, EDS, FTIR, TEM, & XPS) to characterize coating quality or resolve failure modes and drive corrective actions
- Experience with the development and evaluation of measurement systems
- Experience developing process quality plans, supplier quality audits
- Working knowledge of mechanical quality and reliability concepts, supplier management, and general manufacturing operations.
- Project management experience and a solid understanding of problem solving tools including design of experiments, root cause analysis and statistical analytical tools
Collaborate with premier equipment and process manufacturing partners to create next-generation decorative/functional coating processes and test limits of process capabilities. Determine feasibility to achieve bold goals evaluating manufacturing processes at early stages of product development. Plan and execute studies to confirm process capability to achieve technical goals for high volume programs. Work with overseas manufacturers and overseas travel expected (up to 30%) Partner with multi-functional teams to evaluate Coating robustness at the concept phase Develop Measurement technologies for Coating Evaluation, Quality Plans, Reliability Test Plan, Cosmetic Inspection Criteria Resolve Root Cause for Coating issues & drive corrective actions multi-functionally with internal and external team members Compile and evaluate data to determine appropriate limits and variables for process and part specifications to balance unparalleled quality with scalable yields Collaborate with internal and external groups to ensure that proper definition of quality expectations and that appropriate assurance techniques are used for the product Oversee all Quality Engineering functions for a program, serving as project manager to lead efforts at supplier locations Establish audit procedures appropriate to program and supplier to ensure alignment to Apple quality standards Evaluate and communicate yields of new and existing processes Drive actions to close gaps between the actual yield and target yield for the product Travel internationally to supplier sites – 30%
Education & Experience
BS, MS, PhD in Materials Science, Mechanical Engineering, or equivalent
- Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. If you’d like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant, please click here. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants. For more information, please click here.
- Apple will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law. If you are applying for a position in San Francisco, please click here.
- Apple participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations as required by law. Learn more.
- Apple is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities. Learn more.
- Apple is a drug-free workplace. Learn more.