Recycling Innovation Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Operations and Supply Chain
Are you a creative thinker and self-starter? Do you thrive in a startup-like environment and aspire to be a part of something bigger? Are you passionate about recycling and working towards a closed loop supply chain? As an Engineer on Apple's Recycling Innovation Program, you will manage the operations and optimization of the disassembly and recycling systems at Apple partner locations. We celebrate diversity and the innovation that it spurs in everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Join Apple, and help us leave the world better than we found it. About the Program: Apple is developing industry-leading automated disassembly technology to better take apart electronic products at end-of-life. Discrete disassembly allows a broader range of materials at a higher purity to be recovered from these products and integrated back into the supply chain — closing the loop on Apple products. Apple’s publicly announced projects, Liam and Daisy, are keystone projects to Apple’s closed loop supply chain goal and are a result of this program.
- 5 years or more of professional experience working in the global manufacturing space
- You are passionate about recycling and mitigating environmental impact
- Extraordinary program and project management experience; ability to run and organize multiple projects with competing priorities and different timescales
- Supreme attention to detail and ability to dig deep to find creative solutions
- You have outstanding communication skills and excel at building relationships.
- Experience working in and building cross-functional teams, resolving issues and building consensus during the entire project lifecycle.
- Extensive experience interacting with suppliers and external partners, particularly in the international space
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, able to communicate technical information in a concise way to a non-technical audience, and vice versa.
- You are curious; able to learn quickly and adapt in a new and complex sector.
- You are self-motivated, pro-active, self-starter, with demonstrated creative and critical thinking capabilities.
You will be the technical lead for sustaining operations of Apple’s Recycling Innovation program and individually manage the recycling innovation operations at suppliers and sites across diverse geographies. Work with cross-functional environmental, operations, procurement, finance, government affairs and legal teams to champion and drive the recovery of materials from scrap electronic units and modules back into Apple’s supply chain. Drive contract manufacturer preparation for site readiness for fully automated, semi-automated, and fixture solutions for disassembly of whole unit or components. Program management and cross functional organization for site readiness as it relates to e-waste disassembly and shipment permits. This will include collaboration with internal and external stakeholders. The role requires a driven, independent, analytical individual who wants to promote innovation and manage complex international business relationships. You will contribute to Apple’s closed loop material tracking; update, maintain, and identify trends of individual site performance data for internal reporting and system optimization Production process development, documentation, optimization and validation. Participate in early-development of next-generation recycling systems Domestic and international travel required (~30% time)
Education & Experience
BS/MS in Mechanical/Manufacturing/Industrial/Materials Engineering field required.