Software Engineer - Triage & Tools
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
Are you a big-picture thinker who loves setting ambitious goals? Do you have a passion for understanding how each line of code affects all the others? In the Core Operating Systems group, you’ll ensure the OS is inseparable from each device’s identity as a whole. That’s because this group is committed to building fully integrated operating systems that combine hardware, software, and apps into a single Apple experience. Your dedication to cross-disciplinary collaboration will help develop groundbreaking technologies, such as iOS, macOS, watchOS, and tvOS. By crafting these distinct, holistic user experiences, you’ll continue to uphold and advance the excellence people expect from Apple devices. Apple’s CoreOS organization is looking for a triage and development engineer to support the larger engineering organization and contract manufacturer. The position will include debugging critical software and hardware issues across the entire software stack. You will have the opportunity to have a major impact on Apple's products and how they are manufactured and supported.
- GDB and other debug tools
- Proven C, C++ and Python programming skills
- Previous experience of Kernel and/or firmware engineering
- Highly professional, with ability to multitask and deliver solid work on tight schedules
- Proven creative and critical independent-thinking capabilities and troubleshooting skills
- Industry exposure to and knowledge of OS tools and UNIX internals.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills; excellent judgment; a self-directed, proactive approach to tackling problems and working through impediment and an ability to generate trust and build alliances with co-workers
Triage kernel, driver, and firmware issues from internal engineering teams Develop new tools to automate the triage and identification of software bugs Work cooperatively with other parts of Apple to diagnose and debug factory production issues.
Education & Experience
BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience/skills
- Preferred Experience:
- Embedded or mobile technology exposure
- JTAG and ICE debuggers
- Knowledge of debugging UNIX kernels