Senior Site Reliability Engineer
Austin, Texas, United States
This Position can be located in Austin (TX) or Santa Clara Valley (CA) Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming great products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. This position is with the Crypto Services team, and is responsible for protecting some of the most sensitive data at Apple - cryptographic keys. This team runs Apple's PKI and provides highly available, fault-tolerant PKI and encryption services that are leveraged across various teams and support almost every Apple product including iPhone, iPad, Mac, Watch, Apple TV, iTunes, iCloud, App Store, Apple Pay, Apple ID, and more. The Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) position requires a mix of strategic engineering and design along with hands-on, technical work. You will be well versed in today’s relevant technologies toward delivering highly available, scalable solutions in a zero-downtime model. The SRE will configure, tune, and solve problems in multi-tiered systems to achieve optimal application performance, stability and availability. The SRE will establish infrastructure using automation and provide hands-on support for the development of Infrastructure-As-Code. For this position, strict application security and high availability requirements must be balanced to achieve optimal solutions.
- 5+ years experience in designing, analyzing and solving problems large-scale distributed systems
- Experience with DevOps tools, processes, and culture. Experience with Puppet, Chef or Ansible
- Experience building and releasing Infrastructure-As-Code in a controlled environment with an understanding of full-lifecycle configuration management
- Experience with Cloud Computing platforms (particularly AWS) a plus
- Understanding of standard networking protocols and components such as HTTP, DNS, TCP/IP, ICMP and load balancing
- Expertise in writing, debugging and optimizing code, and automating routine tasks
- Track record of practical problem solving, excellent communication, and documentation skills
- Experience with monitoring tools such as Icinga and Splunk is highly preferred
- Experience with relational databases such as Oracle, Cassandra, MySQL, PostgreSQL, MongoDB, or CouchDB
- Understanding of cryptography is a plus
You are highly self-motivated with a real passion for excellence, quality and detail. We are seeking an engineer familiar with the DevOps philosophy and necessary technical background to better deploy and support applications with limited human touch. As the engineer you should be able to build and deploy software, analyze logs and telemetry data for issues Adhere to Software development standard methodologies in writing automation code While working experience with Java is helpful, what is more meaningful is the ability to quickly become proficient in any language, and deep understanding of the fundamentals of Unix systems, internet services architectures, and cloud services Define and evangelize cloud-related optimizations and standard methodologies to improve reliability and performance Scale systems sustainably through mechanisms like automation, and evolve systems by pushing for changes that improve reliability and velocity Maintain services once they are live by measuring and monitoring availability, latency and overall system health You have excellent judgment and integrity with the ability to make timely and sound decisions You are upbeat, adaptable, and results oriented with a positive attitude You bring passion and dedication to your job and are committed to our vision and supporting the developer community
Education & Experience
Prefers a BS in engineering, computer science or other technical disciplines plus 5 years of related experience.