Design Manager - Innovation
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
To create and document construction-ready, integrated custom building systems for Apple’s Retail Real Estate and Development group worldwide. Work with all of Apple Retail to provide maintainable solutions that meet operational and aesthetic needs. Provide strategic direction with regard to new technologies in partnership with the leadership team.
- 10+ years of architectural design and construction industry experience
- 5+ years industrial design experience
- 5+ years lighting design experience
- Professional degree
- Deep knowledge of building systems and technologies, and their integration
- Design experience of integrated systems at an architectural scale
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills required to work effectively with a wide range of design, construction, and technology specialists
- Proven strong leadership skills and ability to develop meaningful internal and external partnerships
- Working knowledge of CAD tools
Improve existing and develop new custom systems for Apple’s Retail program including lighting, merchandise display systems, and architectural systems (such as framing and cladding) that integrate building systems. Oversee documentation of these systems, including Construction Documents, Specifications, Design Manuals, Product Standards, Shop Drawings and supporting information. Partner with other Apple teams who maintain systems and establish program requirements. Spearhead strategy and innovate improvements to systems based on technological advances and changes to operational needs. Develop robust feedback loop with disparate internal Apple Retail groups in order to appropriately adapt systems in response to evolving design, business, and operational needs. Coordinate with Geo specific Design and Development teams to advise on project specific permutations. Assist in on boarding consultants to provide more detailed project specific work. In conjunction with Standards, manage instructional sessions for both internal and external design, engineering, and construction groups. Collaboration with internal and external design groups to identify and document repetitive project specific permutations for possible integration into the standard. Monitor and report progress regularly to Leadership team.