Sr. Electrical Engineer (FPGA Design)
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
The Apple Engineering Team is looking for a high-energy, creative, and driven FPGA Design engineer with strong Electrical Engineering background to work on future Display hardware technologies. You will work in a reciprocal, exciting environment to integrate new technologies into Apple's products.
- Strong analytical aptitude and meticulous attention to detail.
- Should be self-motivated in order to achieve assigned objectives with minimal supervision
- Have shipped 3-4 products with FPGAs on it.
- Min. 5 years of experience utilizing Xilinx Vivado Tool chain.
- Min. 10 years of hands-on experience with FPGA architecture, design, coding, simulating, and debugging FPGA on actual HW.
- Strong understanding how your HDL/RTL code will be synthesized into FPGA fabric. Code for performance!
- Good Electrical Engineering (EE) knowledge on FPGA's HW requirements - Terminations, Signal Integrity, DC Power supplies, Jitter specifications, IO planning etc.
- Hands-on experience using any 7 series Xilinx FPGAs - Artix-7, Kintex-7, Virtex-7, UltraScale, Zynq etc.
- Built FPGA designs involving high-performance interfaces like DDR2/3/4, LVDS, DSPs, Ethernet, etc.
- Experience using high-speed transceivers GTX/GTH/GTPs for interfaces like - MIPI, HDMI, DP, PCIE etc.
- Experience using high-speed data/control interfaces like SPI, UART, I2C etc.
- Experience using Microblaze and/or ARM based embedded processors.
- Hands-on experience with Xilinx or 3rd party IP, as well as create own IP when needed.
- Ability to translate SW algorithms in C/Perl/Python/Matlab into high performance HDL code.
- Good knowledge of FPGA Clock Regions, Bank IO Constraints, Clocking resources - CMTs, PLLs, DLLs etc.
- Understanding static timing analysis, and ability to fix timing issues.
- Practical lab debugging skills to bring-up FPGA designs on actual PCBs using Oscilloscope, Protocol Analyzers.
- Work effectively in a multi-functional product development HW & SW teams.
- Ability to select FPGA Devices based on RTL resource estimation & other HW system requirements from multi-functional teams.
- Able to work on multiple projects in parallel.
- Demonstrate creativity in problem solving, ability to think out-of-box, and adapt quickly to new technical areas. - Promote innovation and new technology to further enhance Apple's display performance and user experience. - Create and give presentations before and after prototyping new ideas. - Work in a team environment and negotiate solutions with HW / SW Engineering and Systems Engineering. - Participate in all phases of the FPGA/EE design including requirements analysis and system architecture, RTL coding, module & system level test bench design, simulation, synthesis, verification and bring-up. - Participate in HW design reviews, and help improve existing design. - Communicate and demonstrate prototypes to multi-functional Teams. - Mentor junior colleagues when necessary.
Education & Experience
- MS/BS in Electrical Engineering. - MS with 5+ years, or BS with 8+ years of relevant EE & FPGA Design experience
- - EE Component selection & circuit design experience is a Plus.
- - EE Schematics & Board Design/Layout experience is a Plus.
- - FW Development experience using C/C++ is a Plus.
- - Scripting or Test Automation is a Plus.