Site Reliability Engineer, Product Engineering Systems
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, great ideas have a way of becoming great products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. The Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) position requires a mix of strategic engineering and design along with hands-on, technical work. A successful candidate will have experience in being a Systems Administrator that has moved on to DevOps/Automation in their career. The SRE will configure, tune, and troubleshoot multi-tiered systems to achieve optimal application performance, stability and availability. The SRE will work closely with the systems engineers, network engineers, database administrators, developers, quality assurance, and information security team. For this position, strict application security and high availability requirements must be balanced to achieve optimal solutions.
- 5+ years of managing services in a large scale *nix environment
- Good understanding of Java and ability to analyze issues and solve complex problems across large ecosystems
- Practical knowledge of shell scripting and at least one scripting language (I.e. Perl, Python, Ruby)
- Experience with DevOps tools, processes, and culture. Experience with Puppet, Chef or Ansible is a plus
- A systematic, test-and-measure approach to continually improving service operations
- Understanding of standard networking protocols and components such as: HTTP, DNS, TCP/IP, ICMP and Load Balancing.
- Experience with configuration management tools
- Experience in Databases & SQL
- Strong hands-on knowledge in Unix/Linux environment
- Track record of practical problem solving, excellent communication, and documentation skills
- Experience with monitoring tools such as Nagios, Splunk highly preferred.
- Understanding of cryptography is a plus
The successful candidate will be highly self-motivated with a passion for excellence, quality and detail. The SRE will not only support operations, but also work closely with the development engineers within the team to aid in architectural design and assist with the implementation of complex features. Responsibilities of the SRE include the following: - Passion for quality and automation, an ability to understand complex systems and a desire to constantly make things better. - Determine optimal configurations for application software, application servers, database connections and indexes, HSM drivers, etc. - Develop and maintain scripts used for environment monitoring and task automation (Perl, Shell, Python, Ruby, etc.) - Deploy, support and monitor new platforms and application stacks - Set priorities and work efficiently in a fast-paced environment - Measure and optimize system performance - Plan and manage capacity of the systems - Explore and evaluate new technologies and solutions to push the capabilities forward, getting ahead of customers’ needs, innovate and continually improve - Strong communication skills and ability to work effectively across multiple business and technical teams - Demonstrate ability to deliver results on time with high quality
Education & Experience
Prefers a BS in engineering, computer science or other technical disciplines plus 5 years of related experience
- - We seek a self starter, visionary person with strong leadership capabilities.
- - Exceptional communication skills, for collaborating across many participating teams.
- - You will interact with many other group’s internal team to lead and deliver best-in-class products in an exciting fast-paced environment.
- - Dynamic, smart people and inspiring, innovative technologies are the norm here. Will you join us in crafting solutions that do not yet exist?