Programmable Network Design Engineer
Sacramento, California, United States
Software and Services
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Every single day, people do amazing things at Apple. Do you want to impact billions of users by developing an extraordinary product with a prime focus on accuracy, understandability and performance of the product? Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. Have you ever thought about creating innovative programmable network solutions to scale a large global enterprise infrastructure using latest technology to rapidly deploy new locations, simplify operational support and redefine the employee experience ? If your answer is yes, this role is for you!! Apple is looking for a Programmable Network Design Engineer to develop our network generation programmable infrastructure platform to transform how technology solutions are deployed & operated across the internal enterprise network infrastructure at Apple! You have a creative mindset, passion for achieving the incredible and deep technical background developing secure infrastructure design solutions across a broad range of network technologies. You’ll be a member of a new Engineering team responsible for creating our design practice and innovative programmable platform together with our trusted partners in Architecture & DevOps to enhance the infrastructure & services we deliver to internal Apple offices across North America. This is a very technical hands on Engineering role in an exciting, fast-paced environment that requires a self-motivated innovator who is confident in developing standard based design solutions that are built to scale, simple to operate and enhance the user experience! *** This position can be based in Culver City CA, Elk Grove CA or Austin TX ***
- Minimum of 10 years in the IT Network Infrastructure field focusing on Design and Operations
- Must have advanced experience in developing network design standards, product evaluation & certification testing, automated deployments and solution documentation
- Knowledge of WAN, ISP peering, BGP, OSPF, IP Multicast, fire-walls, QoS, IPv4/v6 Addressing & DNS/DHCP is required
- Must have good experience with network overlay technologies to create a virtualized service (VXLAN )
- Knowledge and experience managing NFV or SDN programmable network solutions, controllers and protocols
- Knowledge of DevOps principles and AGILE development practices, tools and methodologies.
- Knowledge & experience of configuration management tools like Ansible, Chef or Puppet
- Network Automation programming/scripting languages like Python
- You have worked with REST API’s on network platforms (Netconf, YANG) and have used network monitoring protocols (Netflow, SNMP etc)
- Layer two switching and ethernet technologies to deliver user access over copper & fiber mediums is your expertise
- Network security using wired & wireless 802.1x, EAP-TLS authentication, Cisco ISE (Identity Service Engine) beneficial and VPN solutions is something that you have experience with.
- 802.11ac WiFi environments using centralized WLAN controller solution knowledge
- Network operating systems on Cisco, Palo Alto Networks, Arista and Juniper platforms is required
In this role you will be responsible for developing the design and infrastructure platform solution for our internal network that will improve our security profile, scale our services & simplify support. You will primarily focus on developing a strategy and solution to enable programmable infrastructure delivery and intelligent operational abstraction to improve how we serve Apple offices, remote access, labs and partners. You understand industry direction, will partner with Architecture, drive strategic direction, evaluate/test new directions/products, partner closely with DevOps to integrate technology into automation frameworks, document designs, train operational engineers and act as critical issue support if required. Influence future quarterly and yearly planning to develop technology direction, product enhancements and service improvements year over year! Develop innovative next generation network solutions that increase performance, capability & scale while simplifying operation at a reduced cost. Drive direction and adoption of automated infrastructure delivery through all solutions to enable the organization to rapidly execute & simplify operation of new features, capabilities and solutions.
Education & Experience
- BA/BS in Computer Science/Engineering, Business, or equivalent experience - Cisco and Palo Alto Certifications : CCNP/DP or ACE must and CCIE, PCNSE or equivalent
- - Experience with setup, handling and automating IOS, ISO-XR, NX-OS, WLC, ScreenOS and JunOS
- - Occasional Travel across the US will be required to assist with company events