Software Engineer - Maps Styling Tools
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
Our Team is Cartography Engineering, and we create tools that empower our Cartography and HI teams to style Apple Maps. We are looking for a creative and experienced Software Engineer to build solutions which help us meld the future of Apple Maps. As our team member, you will focus on crafting and implementing engineering solutions that empower the cartographic styling of the map while working in unison with the latest rendering techniques. You will demonstrate your cultivated combination of design sense and engineering skills to bring immersive experiences to help us create the richest and most innovative maps for our customers We thrive on collaboration and therefore in this role you will enjoy partnering with an extraordinary team of designers, software developers, cartographers, and data engineers.
- 5+ years professional software development
- Proven full-stack web development
- Backend web development using Python, PHP, or Java
- Familiarity as a user of iOS and Apple Maps
- Discerning and creative eye for HCI/UX/UI principles
- Ability to build clear and concise prototypes and specification documents
- Passionate about engineering perfection, performance, and quality
- Understanding and ability to orchestrate core computer science concepts
- You thrive in a collaborative environment, operating comfortably in a fast-paced and dynamic team setting
- Interest or passion in map-making and geography
As a member of our team, your activities will include: Defining standout workflows and tools needed to support the cartographic vision Being comfortable with data driven designs and software engineering concepts Diving into and understanding specialized technical stacks and root-cause scenarios Articulating high-level cartographic or display concepts and creating innovative and user-friendly tools which empower developers and cartographers alike Collaborate with your peers as you take pride and ownership in delivering delightful user experiences You will live and breathe in a codebase that has been orchestrated with performance and quality in mind. You will lead by example; setting a precedence by implementing engineering best-practices and mentoring other team members.
Education & Experience
BS or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, GIS, or related field or equivalent experience will be considered.
- While the following skills are not necessary, they would be helpful in understanding our space:
- Experience working with spatial datasets and curating them for use in a visual display would constitute an added bonus
- Native code experience in Objective-C, C++, or Swift
- Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.