Product Safety - Engineering Project Manager
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Imagine what you could do here! Do you care about how products perform, what makes them delightful yet keeps them safe and user-friendly in the deepest sense? Do you ever consider what care and intention put into Apple’s product design allows us to uphold user trust and confidence? The engineering team in Apple’s cutting-edge Product Safety group is responsible for ensuring our products meet international safety standards and regulations, but also exceed those requirements to befit Apple’s expectations. We’re looking for a talented professional and leader who enjoys tackling tough challenges, managing engineering issues, and leading engineers in a fast-paced and demanding product development climate. We’re looking for bright, hungry people who care about the user experience and upholding the highest standards of product integrity. As an engineering project manager (EPM) in Product Safety, you will be focused on new product introduction (NPI) activities and work closely with engineers to develop and certify products and module sub-systems needed for commercialization. You will work closely with internal engineering teams, external laboratories, agencies, and certifying bodies to ensure our products meet the highest international and Apple-specified requirements. If this sound like a perfect fit, and a challenge built for you, then read on!
- You are a stellar program/project management with impeccable organizational skills and attention to details.
- You have demonstrated skills in project management tools, schedule development/management, and leadership
- Strong technical intuition and understanding of basic engineering concepts with ability to grasp complex design and process problems, while distilling them to their barest essences
- Proven ability to work cross-functionally, harness the powers of teamwork, and relate to myriad technical partners.
- Highly effective communicator, both in spoken and written forms; sharp interpersonal skills who understand how to communicate across varied audiences
- Sound executive presence with the strong ability to communicate at the executive levels
- Strong hunger factor and courageous spirit with a proclivity towards action and creative problem-solving
- Calm under fire, high resilience and interest in complex problem-solving within a challenging and fast-paced environment
- Ability to travel unrestricted, up to 15% of the time. Our work requires periodic travels to address anticipated (and unanticipated) project demands
- Familiarity in, or experience with, international and/or regional product Safety standards a big plus
- Foreign language proficiency desirable
- In this role you will optimize and track the progression of Safety certifications and deliverables across multiple projects, understanding the dependencies that impact any given critical path. - Develop, refine and uphold project schedules needed to ensure the on-time completion of deliverables and achievement of milestones. - You are great in communicating and delivering briefings and updates to senior engineering management and executives to enable rapid decision-making within Apple’s product development life cycle. - You will be working closely with cross-functional engineering and operations teams for production builds and Safety certification milestones - Respond to critical issues and short-fused tasking or investigations needed to resolve time-sensitive issues or emergent requirements - Drive FMEA (failure modes and effects analysis) activities with cross-functional teams to identifying potential Safety risks and associated mitigations/solutions to address them - Manage key project management collaborative, tracking, and communications tools and systems; administer effective use of those systems to ensure established processes are followed - Continually innovate in EPM process improvements and ensure the highest levels of project execution - Review Safety test plans and process checklists to ensure necessary coverage of key validations and certification requirements - Support Safety leadership in managing engineering budgets and resourcing needs across fiscal years
Education & Experience
- B.S. or M.S. Engineering or Technical degree - 4+ years of experience in a related field or industry