Test Engineer - Electrical Design
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. The people here at Apple don’t just create products — they create the kind of wonder that’s revolutionized entire industries. It’s the diversity of those people and their ideas that inspires the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Join Apple, and help us leave the world better than we found it. Apple has an exciting new position for a Electrical Design / Test Engineer in our growing Product Services Engineering team. This position involves all aspects of designing, sourcing and qualifying factory test fixtures for our Mac product lines. This is a position based in Cupertino, California. At Apple, we strive to change the world through our work every day. Our goal is to serve and delight our customers with the best products and services in the world.
- Successful candidates will possess the following skills, knowledge and experience:
- Technical - Electrical:
- Three to five years as an electrical engineer with experience in fixture or product design.
- Experience with flex circuit design, PCBA design and component selection.
- Good basic knowledge of various sensor technologies such as those used in Apple products.
- Fundamental knowledge of various board test techniques - both functional level and ICT.
- Strong fundamental EE circuit analysis skills, including familiarity with schematic preparation and layout review.
- Strong hands on troubleshooting skills and the ability to mentor technicians doing such work, including good facility using basic lab equipment.
- Knowledge of a variety of programming / scripting languages.
- Highly Desired, but NOT required: Experience working as a test engineer on NPI projects in a high volume manufacturing environment.
- Technical - General
- Experience sourcing equipment and fixtures from third-party suppliers.
- Experience qualifying equipment. This includes planning, developing and implementing equipment qualification procedures, as well as compiling data and making recommendations using appropriate statistical (DOE, GR&R, Cpk) and reliability techniques.
- Knowledge of and/or exposure to failure analysis techniques and equipment.
- Desired, but NOT required: experience with regulatory and compliance requirements for factory solutions in Asian, European and American countries.
- Project Skills:
- Very good written and oral communication skills in English.
- Strong relationship building, teamwork and peer influencing skills.
- Clear ability to work independently: self-manage priorities, complete work deliverables and make sound technical decisions with limited oversight.
- Comfortable working in a very fast moving, fast changing business environment.
- Flexible, adaptable mind-set. Able to manage multiple fixture designs simultaneously.
- Ability to create practical and innovative solutions.
The person in this role will design, source and qualify the test fixtures required to support worldwide production and test of service modules for a broad range of Apple products. This individual will be focused on the electrical aspects of equipment design and bring-up. (Mechanical fixture design is not a job requirement.) This individual will work closely with many different teams across Apple both in the USA and in China, including Apple Hardware Engineering, Hardware Test Engineering, Operations Test Engineering, AppleCare and various business teams. Additionally, there will be close interaction with a number of Apple’s manufacturing partners and leading equipment suppliers. Additional responsibilities include: Determining test fixture requirements for Apple factories worldwide. Developing electrical / system design concepts for test equipment Leading technical design reviews with key internal / external partners Selecting and qualifying component, instrumentation and fixture suppliers (in a team environment.) Developing and implementing test fixture qualification plans. This includes evaluating results using appropriate statistical techniques. Managing China-based design firms to deliver test fixtures per design & quality specifications Providing on site support for test fixture bring-up during new product development Up to 25% international travel is required
Education & Experience
BS in Electrical Engineering (or closely related field or equivalent experience) MS in Engineering (preferred, but not required)
- 25% - 30% International Travel
- Desirable, but not required, is Mandarin speaking / reading ability.