OS Performance Tools Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
Why Apple? We live in a mobile and device driven world where knowledge of the physical world around us is needed. We rely on this knowledge to get around, to learn about our environment and to enable spectacular new features for custom applications. Apple is meeting those needs as robustly and as creatively as possible and is interested in people who want to help meet that commitment. The success we are striving will be the result of very skilled people working in an environment which cultivates creativity, partnership, and thinking of old problems in new ways. If that sounds like the kind of environment that you find intriguing, then let's talk. The OS Performance Tools team is looking to take performance tools to the next level. This is a terrific position for an engineer interested in solving challenging problems involving modeling & visualizing details of iOS/macOS/watchOS systems in novel ways and exposing system behavior with the goal of enabling all of Software Engineering to effectively solve multi-functional performance issues. Engineering excellence is inspired. Will you help us design the next generation of revolutionary Apple products?
- Strong OS & Systems fundamentals
- Expertise in developing and maintaining large software projects
- Strong coding skills, preferably in C/C+
- Excellent software engineering experience in multiple areas, or other experience pointing to success as a generalist
- You seek learning new technologies
- Strong organizational and leadership skills
- Strong system level understanding
- Aptitude to independently learn new technologies, prototype and propose software design and solutions
- Real passion for product quality and attention to detail
- Self-motivated and able to work independently
- Excellent problem solving and critical thinking
- Prior development in Unix, Linux, or macOS
- Excellent spoken and written communication
- Strong understanding of low level software and hardware impact
- - Experience with performance tools
- Work on performance tools that model various aspects of the OS to enable teams tackle challenging multi-functional performance problems - This position will require engaging with other engineering teams to gain a deep understanding of problem domains when developing features - You will be solving problems in the areas of usability/UX, cross-platform compatibility, and techniques for debugging performance issues across the OS - Evangelize best practices and pursue improvements - We engage deeply with CoreOS in developing features and planning for the future - Assembly experience with one or more ISAs, ideally ARM or x86 - Knowledge of computer hardware or processor design - Experience with battery life optimizations and tools a plus
Education & Experience
CS degree or equivalent experience
- • Assembly experience with one or more ISAs, ideally ARM or x86.
- • Some knowledge of computer hardware or processor design.
- • Some experience with performance (speed or memory usage) or battery life optimizations and tools.