Site Reliability Engineer
Austin, Texas, United States
Software and Services
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, great ideas have a way of becoming great products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. Are you a passionate DevOps professional? Would you like to work with a team that supports Enterprise Systems in an information systems environment? We are seeking an energetic and passionate DevOps software engineer who will play a central role in the delivery of secure scalable services. As a member of our dynamic group, you will have the unique and rewarding opportunity to be an early contributor, delivering automation of our Enterprise Class systems within IS&T at Apple ensuring systems are built and maintained with accuracy, speed and reliability. You enjoy playing with technology to automate infrastructure, maximizing outcomes, implementing continuous integration and deployment a meaningful and dynamic environment. The Global Computing Services Enterprise Platform Solution team is looking for Site Reliability Engineers (SRE) to help automate, build and operate the hosted infrastructure (AIX, Solaris and Linux) that millions of customers use every day. You have both Unix / Systems expertise and proven Software Development skills. Our customers count on us to provide availability, scalability and performance. This is your opportunity to do something extraordinary. Do you like the idea of running global applications that are used by millions of passionate people around the world? Are you up to the challenge?
- Extensive experience in a Systems Engineering/DevOps role in a large scale environment required. You have deep knowledge of Unix/Linux systems and internals.
- You have a thorough understanding of Chef, Jenkins and other common related technologies such as Git and Artificatory and testing methods.
- 8+ years supporting hosted services within a high-volume customer-facing environment
- Good understanding of standard networking protocols and components such as HTTP, DNS, TCP/IP, the OSI Model, networking and load balancing. Fluent in at least one scripting language such as BASH. Proven ability to write programs using a high-level programming language like Ruby or Python is a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal interpersonal skills.
- You are passionate and inquisitive, solving everyday problems in innovative ways.
We’re looking for someone with great ownership and a strong practical focus to provide leadership in implementing a secure, robust and highly available DevOps pipeline deployed in an SRE environment. Primarily focused on platform automation and desired state enforcement. Secondary focus will be developing interfaces in to the central automation pipeline as well as between the pipeline and other IS&T entities. You will work closely with system engineers throughout the software lifecycle in successfully delivering best-in-class secure and large scalable systems. Implement push button deployment at scale with zero downtime. You'll be excited by the prospect of working collaboratively to deliver truly amazing services to orchestrate automation. You take responsibility; you can demonstrate creativity, initiative, and the ability to work to deadlines. You feel a personal stake in the product you deliver. You thrive when challenged. You keep your eye on the ball; you build strong relationships; and you are constantly looking to improve yourself and your team.
Education & Experience
BS Degree Computer Science preferred, or equivalent field with 7+ years or MS degree with 5+ years experience, or equivalent.