Swift Compiler Frontend Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
Apple is seeking Swift Compiler Frontend Software Engineer to help design and develop the compiler for the Swift programming language. In this position, you will be part of the Apple Developer Tools department. You will collaborate with other teams within Apple as well as the Swift open source community to build the compiler and enhance the Swift language. Because our tools are our products, our team has the unique opportunity to improve our development environment daily as we build software for our users. Our team strives to build a diverse, balanced and dynamic environment! You will join a small team of highly motivated engineers who build first-class compiler tools and apply them in innovative ways. The people here at Apple don’t just build products — they build the kind of wonder that’s revolutionized entire industries. Together, our work will be the reason millions of customers feel that they can trust our devices every single day. Imagine what you could do at Apple.
- Diverse exposure to different programming languages.
- Strong C++ coding skills.
- Familiarity with the overall design of compilers including semantic analysis and type checking.
- Experience working with a large and complex software stack.
- Track record of building production quality software.
- Strong communication and teamwork skills.
In this position, you will enhance the Swift compiler and help shape the future of the Swift language. You will be involved in all aspects of taking a language feature from concept to implementation. You will be responsible for understanding the interaction between the compiler and other developer tools, such as build systems, debuggers, and source editors. You will be an active contributor to the http://swift.org open source project. As part of the Apple Swift team, you will need to have an understanding and appreciation for what it takes to ship a quality compiler. You will also need a keen interest in interacting with and supporting our large and diverse user base. This position is based onsite at Apple’s campus in Cupertino, California. Please send applications to: swift-team-apply at group dot apple dot com and include a brief statement about yourself and how you see a potential mutual fit with the team.
Education & Experience
B.S. in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Expertise in the following areas is a plus but not required:
- • Experience in driving features that require collaboration with different teams.
- • Experience in mentoring other engineers.
- • Familiarity with Cocoa and Objective-C.
- • Familiarity with LLVM or Clang.