Hardware Development Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Why Apple? We live in a mobile and device driven world where knowledge of the physical world around us is needed. We rely on this knowledge to get around, to learn about our environment and to enable spectacular new features for custom applications. Apple is meeting those needs as robustly and as creatively as possible and is interested in people who want to help meet that commitment. The success we are striving will be the result of very skilled people working in an environment which cultivates creativity, partnership, and thinking of old problems in new ways. If that sounds like the kind of environment that you find intriguing, then let's talk. These elements come together to make Apple an amazing environment for motivated people to do the greatest work of their lives. You will become part of a team that sets the standard in fostering excellence, creativity and innovation. Will you help us design the next generation of revolutionary Apple products? This is an excellent opportunity to work on the forefront of new power management technologies with the exemplary company consistently bringing innovations in the industry. In this position, you will be part of a team developing innovative designs, which are implemented in products used by many millions of people. The position primarily involves advanced wired or wireless charging and DC-DC power design for Apple’s next generation platforms.
- You must have direct experience of architecture and design of wired or wireless charging circuits for both transmitters and receivers.
- You must possess deep knowledge of power conversion topologies including analog and digital controls loop.
- Knowledge of communication methods used in power transfer platforms is desired.
- Knowledge of power transformers and magnetics is desired.
- The ideal candidate should be able to use of Spice based simulation tools, Simplis, MathCad, MATLAB and excel mathematical analysis.
- Candidate must be intimately familiar with applications of DC-DC voltage regulators, magnetic design, PCB layout and state-of the art techniques for integration and efficiency optimizations.
- Strong analytical/problem solving skills and ability to guide critical decisions
- Must possess good understanding of thermals, mechanical and packaging challenges. Must possess knowledge of high volume manufacturing technologies and production variance.
- Must have experience with digital hardware design such as microcontrollers and digital interfaces (such as I2C, SPI, SPMI, etc).
- Must be highly motivated, self-starter with innovation, integrity and attention to details.
- Ability to work well with cross-functional teams is extremely important
- Proven track record of working in fast paced innovative work environment
- Ideal candidate is with work experience in mobile computing industry and/or power management systems/semiconductor/silicon companies
- Position will require some international travel
As a Hardware System Design and Integration Engineer, you will be driving innovative power circuit designs and system level partitioning from concept investigation, architecture and design through successful product level implementation and validation. 1)Participate in core architecture investigation while working closely with power architect by arbitrating design options with technical rigor for key power performance metrics including but not limited to efficiency, power density, cost, reduced carbon foot print and scalability 2)New power architectures definition for power delivery of mobile products and peripherals, including battery chargers and multi-phase/single phase dc-dc voltage regulators. Experience with design of voltage regulators for CPU/GPU using IMVP/VR specs is a plus. 3)Provide power electronics concept design simulation, calculation and analytical models for prediction of design concept outcome including control loop stability, transient responses, layout analysis and parasitic extractions. 4)Own circuit design for wired or wireless power transfer from wall to battery including circuit schematic and BOM, including transformers definition and design plus communication protocols; work with PCB layout team. Must be able to use schematic capture, BOM generation and Spice based simulation tools. Work closely with system HW and SW teams for AC-DC / DC-DC power designs integration, simulations and system level validation. 5)Work with DC-DC and AC-DC power vendors including silicon and magnetic vendors. Drive highest levels of integration and technology innovation. 6)Build prototypes, perform test and validation, summarize results, document multi-dimensional activities. Hands-on work in lab is must. 7)PERFORM COMPETITIVE BENCH MARKING 8)Provide technical support for production issues, including debug and FA with resolutions 9)Help establish a culture for innovation, rigor and healthy paranoia through exemplary behavior and teamwork 10)Technically lead engineers throughout the life cycle of the products from concept to mass volume production.
Education & Experience
MSEE in power electronics with 3+ years experience must, 6+ years experience preferred. PhD preferred.