Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) iCloud
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
The iCloud SRE team is looking for Site Reliability Engineers to build and run the services that hundreds of millions of customers use every day. We are hiring high quality engineers with a diverse set of experiences and skill sets for positions on Apple's public facing properties & internal services. The best candidates will have strong Cloud Architecture & Operations skills, with acute awareness and experience of bare metal Linux / Systems expertise. Our customers count on us to provide extraordinary availability, scalability and security for services. As an SRE in iCloud, you'll be on a team whose mission is to build and improve Apple's most critical internet services. We're looking for talented and passionate people to join this amazing team. If you feel this is you, we'd love to hear from you.
- Strong sense of ownership, customer service, and integrity demonstrated through clear communication and positive action.
- Ability to program in high-level programming languages like: Java, Ruby, Python, Perl and C.
- Deep understanding of Cloud Architecture and Operations including: migration, resilience, maintainability, and cost efficiency.
- Understanding of standard networking protocols and components such as: HTTP, DNS, ECMP, TCP/IP, ICMP, the OSI Model, Subnetting and Load Balancing strategies.
- Familiarity with distributed systems theories, for example: the CAP Theorem, SOA, Microservices, and the Twelve Factor App.
- Experience handling large numbers of diverse systems with configuration management systems like: Puppet, Chef, Ansible, or Salt.
- Deep understanding of the Linux Operating System, including: Kernel, Memory, Process, Threads, Static / Shared Libraries, IPC, Signals.
- Proclivity towards data-driven programming and operations.
- Passion for eliminating repetitive manual processes using automation.
The services iCloud runs are massive. Operating across geographically dispersed data centers and multiple cloud providers and servicing hundreds of millions of users presents unique challenges. As an SRE @ Apple, you'll need to solve these problems using data, collaboration, and your own expertise. SREs @ Apple own the full infrastructure stack; from device driver performance debugging to content delivery network traffic management, our responsibilities are both broad and deep. iCloud runs the majority of its systems on Linux. We run a mix of open source and internally developed tools for system & configuration management, provisioning, software deployment, and monitoring. You'll learn these tools and have opportunities to improve them. Our team embodies a "Startup" mentality; fostering a strong entrepreneurial spirit. If you have a better solution to a problem; document a strategy for improvement, advocate for your strategy through persuasion and socialization efforts, then carry it through to completion. Good ideas are heard and results are rewarded. Deploy, support and monitor new and existing services, platforms, and application stacks. Use scale testing to measure, tune and optimization system performance. Architect, author and deliver software to improve the availability, scalability and security of Apple's internet services. Build and manage systems, infrastructure and applications through automation. Participate in periodic on-call duties.
Education & Experience
BS in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent employment