Software Engineer, Data Engineering - Ad Platforms
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
At Apple, we work every day to create products that enrich people’s lives. Our Advertising Platforms group makes it possible for people around the world to easily access informative and imaginative content on their devices while helping publishers and developers promote and monetize their work. Our technology and services power advertising in Apple News and Search Ads in the App Store. Our platforms are highly performant, deployed at scale, and set new standards for enabling effective advertising while protecting user privacy. The Ad Platforms Data Insights team is seeking an engineer to join in developing the next generation of analytical solutions working with Sales, Product, and Engineering. In this role you will work as a key member of a data-centric team to drive the strategy, development, execution, and continuous improvement of core data analytics infrastructure and processes. You have experience building data pipelines using multiple data storage and analysis toolsets including modern distributed technologies. Successful analytics teams involve data scientists and data engineers working hand in hand to build insightful and efficient solutions. In your role, you will be a key enabler for teams of analysts and data scientists delivering insights that help run the business.
- Background in computer science, mathematics, or similar quantitative field with a minimum of 3-5 years professional experience Programming experience (Java, Scala preferred)
- Advanced skills using one or more scripting languages (e.g., Python, bash, etc.) Extract Transform Load (ETL)
- Experience using Spark, Kafka, Hadoop, or similar technologies
- SQL expertise, data modeling, and relational database experience
- UNIX admin and general server administration experience required
- Knowledge of data warehousing concepts, methodologies, and frameworks
- Experience with applying data encryption and data security standards
- Ability to formulate and apply creative, balanced data capture strategies
- Presto, Hive, SparkSQL, Cassandra, Solr, or other big data query and transformation experience a plus
- Data visualization experience using R, Python a plus
- Data visualization or web development skills a plus
- Ability to communicate technical concepts to a business-focused audience
- Most importantly, a sense of humor and an eagerness to learn
You will build large scale data pipelines and end-to-end analytics solutions to transform rich data at Apple scale that power data exploration, actionable insights that directly impact customers. You will support diverse data processing workloads that require expertise in these various technologies as Spark, Hadoop, Kafka, Cassandra, Solr and beyond. This role requires in-depth knowledge with cutting-edge data technologies. Tuning, troubleshooting and scaling these big data technologies are a key part of our work, where having a curiosity with the internal workings of these systems is key to being successful. This is a hard-core software engineering role, where a large part of an engineer's time is spent writing code with the remainder being spent on designing and architecting systems, tuning and debugging alternative data systems and supporting production systems. As a member of a dynamic team, you will have significant responsibility and influence for crafting all parts of the data platform.
Education & Experience
BSCS Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.