SQA/Automation Engineer - Setup and Migration
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
The Installation and Setup QA team is responsible for qualifying macOS Installation, Software Update and the iOS and macOS Setup experience including data migration from other devices. We’re looking for a Software QA/Automation Engineer with a passion for the Mac to join our team and help us continue to improve and deliver a simple, reliable and elegant out-of-the-box experience to our customers. Our team practices dynamic, fast-paced development that relies heavily on a tight relationship between developers and QA.You should be a motivated, organized, critical thinker with a demonstrated aptitude for learning new technologies, and an ability to understand, test and automate complex systems and user scenarios. Equally important is an unwavering passion for quality, a strong point of view on product design and user experience, and a critical eye for detail, matched with an ability to see the big-picture. Team members are expected to own and champion quality for multiple multi-functional components. This includes active participation in feature design and engineering discussions, leading multi-functional testing efforts, planning and executing testing, and developing and maintaining automation infrastructure and tests.
- Strong, technical familiarity with Mac hardware, macOS and broad knowledge of the Apple product and services ecosystem
- Experience testing data migration scenarios - familiarity with using Migration Assistant to transfer user data from Mac and Windows systems is a plus!
- Experience testing consumer electronic devices and operating systems
- Appropriate using a variety of UNIX command line tools to interrogate the state of the system and obtain diagnostic information
- Experience writing component level and end-to-end automation, with a focus on client-side applications and operating systems
- Experience owning/leading qualification effort of a feature or component area through multiple release cycles
- Ability to work aggressively and adapt frequently in a highly dynamic and cross-functional software development environment
- Curious, determined personality with ability to deconstruct complex issues, and make decisions and progress in spite of limited information and/or direction
- Capable of performing quick triage but also able to “deep-dive” technically when diagnosing problems, and communicate severity and impact
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to contextualize and articulate information to engineers and management
- Familiarity with C, C++ or Objective-C
- Familiarity with data analytics and diagnostic telemetry
- Familiarity with continuous integration processes and systems like Jenkins
Your primary role in the team will be to own and drive the qualification effort for macOS Setup and Migration software functionality on both shipping and development hardware and OSes, with a strong emphasis on developing and maintaining automated tests and infrastructure. Additional responsibilities will include both documented and ad-hoc testing of changes made by software developers, and submission of those changes to the build. This will include defining and validating functional acceptance criteria for new features, validating all software changes, performing standard regression testing and reporting bugs, ensuring that no regressions are introduced into the build. You will be the gate for quality, and will be expected to be a strong advocate for both functional correctness and a polished user experience throughout the development process. Candidates interested in software development, but willing to begin their journey by ensuring that the quality of our software and user experience continues to surprise and delight our customers are encouraged to apply.
Education & Experience
BS in Computer Science or 3+ years of equivalent experience