Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
Are you a big-picture thinker who loves setting ambitious goals? Do you have a passion for understanding how each line of code affects all the others? In the Core Operating Systems group ensuring the OS is inseparable from each device’s identity as a whole. That’s because this group is committed to building fully integrated operating systems that combine hardware, software, and apps into a single Apple experience. Your dedication to cross-disciplinary collaboration will help develop groundbreaking technologies, such as iOS, macOS, watchOS, and tvOS. By crafting these distinct, holistic user experiences, you’ll continue to uphold and advance the excellence people expect from Apple devices. We are working to take the build and test process of the low-level components of iOS, macOS, watchOS and tvOS to the next level (think kernel and low-level libraries). We don’t have all of the answers on how to do that yet, perhaps you do? We are exploring, measuring and trying new things. We are responsible for validating nearly a quarter of all changes that go into our OS releases and affect 1 billion+ customers, so this isn’t just a theoretical exercise. We won’t be satisfied with anything less than outstanding.
- We are looking for a Build Engineer who has aptitude to add to a team being bootstrapped in the Core OS organization with the following qualifications:
- - Demonstrate proficiency with scripting languages (Python, Perl, Bash)
- - Experience with creating, running, and fixing native builds (Objective-C, C++) if you are the right person, we don’t mind which technology you are used to, as long as you show flexibility
- - Comfortable writing code and ideally have experience with TDD
- - Always iterating and seeking new ways to shorten the feedback cycle of build pipelines
- - Will work closely with engineering and QA teams, which requires very good communication and coordination skills
- - Proficient using Git and other version control systems
- - Experience with Docker and Kubernetes as well as modern configuration management tools like Salt/Ansible would be a big plus
As Build Engineer, you’ll handle the build and verification process of the Kernel and related components for all of Apple’s OS releases. You’ll work as part of an agile team that is big on shortening feedback cycles for our internal customers. Our aim is to provide fast feedback to all of our partners. You will work hands-on with various tools to raise the bar for automation of day-to-day operations and rapidly deliver innovative solutions.
Education & Experience
BS or MS