Mechanical Quality Engineer (MQE) - Softgoods
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Operations and Supply Chain
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. The people here at Apple don’t just create products — they create the kind of wonder that’s revolutionized entire industries. It’s the diversity of those people and their ideas that inspires the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Join Apple, and help us leave the world better than we found it. At Apple, a Mechanical Quality Engineer defines product cosmetic specifications and manufacturing quality control methods. In this highly visible role, you will have the opportunity to make a significant impact on Apple Products, and leave a footprint for years to come. We have an opportunity for an accomplished quality engineer to lead development, and ramp for a next generation Apple product. Our quality engineering team enables the mass creation of impossible products. We work in tandem with Apple's renowned designers to develop measurement technologies, control strategies, information systems, and manufacturing methods that achieve visionary specifications at massive production scale. We manage a network of supplier factories worldwide, with responsibility for our partners' delivery to aggressive schedules. Our focus is on elegant execution of extraordinary industrial designs, resulting in products that thrill our customers.
- 3+ years of experience in manufacturing and quality control
- Experience developing process quality plans, supplier quality audits, and driving corrective actions and failure analysis efforts
- Working knowledge of mechanical quality and reliability concepts, supplier management, and general manufacturing operations.
- Project management experience and an understanding of DFx and DOE principles are considered a plus
- Requires international travel to supplier sites
- International experience, particularly in Asia is a plus
The MQE reviews processing techniques and methods applied in the manufacture, fabrication, and evaluation of products. Involvement may begin at any step from product concept to full-scale manufacturing. Responsibilities include: • Coordinating design requirement review with appropriate engineering/scientific personnel to ensure capability of manufacturing processes. • Compiling and evaluating data to determine appropriate limits and variables for process, material, and part specifications. • Conceive and plan projects involving definition and selection of new concepts, product inspection technology, and approaches in the processing or development of new or improved processes. • Recommending and implementing equipment and process modifications to improve production efficiencies, manufacturing techniques and production yields for existing products. • Develop and conduct statistical analysis such as Design of Experiments (DOE) and Statistical Process Control (SPC) targeting cause of failure for yield loss and improving quality. • Apply deep understanding of quality control and manufacturing concepts to develop specific Product Quality Plan (PQP) appropriate to program and commodity. • Coordinating all quality engineering functions for a program, serving as project manager to lead efforts at supplier locations. • Provide technical direction and mentorship to other quality engineers supporting the implementation of the PQP. • Assess measurability and creatively address concerns directly with partners. Identify and direct studies to implement improvements in measuring method where appropriate. • Establish audit procedures appropriate to program and supplier to ensure alignment to Apple quality standards. Implement FAI and Cp/Cpk reviews of mechanical parts. • Assists supplier selection process for new products and second sourcing activities supporting qualification/disqualification decisions. • Review PQP with supplier and other Apple functional groups to optimize supplier quality programs. Evaluates supplier readiness and alignment to PQP at all development and qualification stages. • Monitor each supplier's performance through measurement of production line statistics, company inspections, and audits. Prepare summary of performance and communicate to appropriate management to ensure effective corrective action plans can be promptly executed.
Education & Experience
BS in Mechanical Engineering or Industrial Engineering
- Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. If you’d like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant, please click here. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants. For more information, please click here. Apple will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law. If you are applying for a position in San Francisco, please click here. Apple participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations as required by law. Learn more. Apple is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities. Learn more. Apple is a drug-free workplace. Learn more.