Manufacturing Design Engineer (MDE) Softgoods
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. The people here at Apple don’t just create products — they create the kind of wonder that’s revolutionized entire industries. It’s the diversity of those people and their ideas that inspires the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Join Apple, and help us leave the world better than we found it. In this highly visible role, you will manage selection, implementation & optimization of manufacturing processes for our legendary soft goods products. You will utilize your mechanical engineering experience and work across multi-functional teams in Product Design and Industrial Design to assess product features for manufacturability and recommend capable processes and equipment.
- Proven experience supporting new product launches from a mechanical, tooling, or product development perspective.
- Experience with mechanical fabricated parts or adhesives, glues, jigs, fixtures, tooling, injection molding, plastics experience is required.
- Deep understanding of DOE, GD&T, SPC techniques.
- Willingness to travel internationally to supplier sites.
- International experience, particularly in Asia is a plus
- Demonstrated hands-on mechanical ability.
- Excellent written and verbal interpersonal skills.
- Experience with highly cosmetic parts a plus.
You will employ your mechanical manufacturing background in the following Process Development, NPI and Supplier Execution areas: • Planning, proposing, and leading experiments to produce timely and accurate analyses used to drive design, development, and supply chain decisions. • Assessing the suitability of a fabrication technology for a given part design. Planning validation exercises to demonstrate initial feasibility as well as manufacturing capability. Analyzing results of validation exercises and provide technical recommendations. • Reviewing progress of development activities at supplier locations and serve as point of escalation for critical process related issues. • Acts as lead engineer to drive process development and capability assessment activities, reviewing part design documentation to ensure alignment with process capability. • Assigns specific tasks and work with Apple suppliers to support process development and/or data gathering activities. Set clear goals for results and provide timely reviews of performance throughout program. • Establish validation procedures to determine acceptance of tooling into development builds as well as mass production. • Review supplier tool design, process flow, equipment selection, DFM, and DOE proposals. Identify shortfalls and corrective actions to ensure design compliance. • Work with supplier engineering teams to map out process development exercises, secure resources, and commit to schedules in line with program goals • Assess supplier readiness to support build events and production ramp. Identify potential execution issues and provide recommendations to mitigate risk.
Education & Experience
BS in Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Engineering.
- Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. If you’d like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant, please click here. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants. For more information, please click here. Apple will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law. If you are applying for a position in San Francisco, please click here. Apple participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations as required by law. Learn more. Apple is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities. Learn more. Apple is a drug-free workplace. Learn more.