Backup & Recovery DevOPS Engineer
Sacramento, California, United States
Software and Services
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Every single day, people do amazing things at Apple. Do you want to impact billions of users by developing an extraordinary product with a prime focus on accuracy, understandability and performance of the product? Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. Job Summary Do you like to take an off-the-shelf solution and make it better? Do you have the skills to automate repetitive and time-consuming tasks? Do you have the agility to support an existing environment while taking service offerings to the next level? If so, this may be the role for you. Apple’s IS&T Backup and recovery environment is a fast-paced environment that supports the protection and backup of tens of thousands of various OS impressions and hundreds of petabytes of storage. In conjunction with several vendor-supported products, we want to develop internal tooling to manage and provision back-ups as a service for our internal customers. If you are looking to use your development background to improve the way data is protected, we should talk.
- - 5+ years in a Systems Engineering / SRE / DevOPS role
- - Strong knowledge of Unix / Linux / Backup fundamentals
- - Experience with common development tools, repositories and CI/CD practices
- - Administrative experience with the following: TSM / Spectrum Protect, NetBackup, NetWorker, Avamar, DataDomain appliances using NAS and DDboost ingest points
- - Fundamental understanding of leveraging Object Storage as a backup endpoint
- - Ability to exploit various storage and software APIs and command sets relating to DataDomain, Spectrum Protect and other solutions
- - Ability to pull telemetry from multiple data sources and combine into meaningful reports for business customers. Examples include backup success / failures, application level data protection report cards and daily capacity reporting
- - Fluent proficiency in at least one of the following languages: Python, Perl, Shell scripting (ksh preferred)
- - Dedication to quality deliverables
- - Excellent written and oral communication skills
As a DevOPS Engineer for the IS&T Backup & Recovery team, you will be building tools, automating processes, deploying and maintaining systems and working with other groups to streamline Backup & Recovery into a world-class service for internal customers.
Education & Experience
CS or equivalent experience plus 5 years of work in a development or engineering environment related to back-ups and storage.