Product Design Engineer - Accessories
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
As a member of a cross-functional design team at Apple, you will help create the next generation of the world's finest products . You will conceive, design, and bring into production products that will re-define the mobile experience. You will work closely with many different cross functional teams including Industrial Design, Hardware Engineering, Antenna, Reliability, Packaging, Safety and Marketing.
- Design intelligence: creative problem solving, diligence in finding the best solution for each design challenge, excellent spatial reasoning skills, attention to detail.
- Fundamentals of engineering: strength of materials, material science, statics, heat transfer.
- Broad range of materials and processes: metal machining basics (cutter and fixture design rules), plastic injection/compression molding basics, designing with metals, designing with polymers, sheet metal design, material finishing basics.
- Flexible design skills: tolerance analysis, design for assembly/manufacturability, cross functional electro-mechanical integration, simple fixture design, design considerations for high volume manufacturing, developing initial product layouts, understanding of Statistical Process Controls (SPC), understanding of metrology (basic knowledge of measurement systems), mechanism design
- Design validation skills: identifying critical requirements and test methods to evaluate designs against them, strong failure analysis skills, Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA), large data set analysis and computer-aided data analysis, Design of Experiments (DOE), Finite Element Analysis (FEA), and mechanical prototyping.
- Computer aided design (CAD) Skills: 3D CAD experience required - NX preferred, 2D drafting and GD&T preferred, data exchange and working with printed circuit board (PCB) and flexible printed circuit (FPC), eCAD, electrical mechanical control outline (MCO) generation.
- Component and system assembly build support in-region (~15% travel to Asia).
- Excellent communication skills: both written and verbal communication, ability to communicate design ideas clearly, lead and contribute to brainstorms.
Responsibilities include concept generation, discussion and down-selecting; product component and module integration; enclosure design; prototype creation and demonstration; manufacturing process and fixture design; and product analysis and testing. Experience in designing mechanical components for high volume manufacturing is recommended, specifically injection molded parts, sheet metal components, die cast and machined parts.
Education & Experience
BSME. MSME preferred.
- * 3+ years experience in mechanical design (preferably internships or working experience in consumer electronics).
- * Strong analytical/problem solving skills and general mechanical engineering analysis.
- * Strong materials knowledge. Good understanding of different materials and grades.
- * Good hands-on prototyping experience
- * 3-D CAD skills
- * Requires demonstrated ability in plastic and metal part design.
- * Working knowledge of finite element analysis theory and ability to use statistical tools and techniques.
- * Flexibility and comfort working in a quickly changing environment.
- This position will require international travel (15%).
- Preferred Experience:
- Handheld/portable/consumer device experience
- Experience in Design for Manufacturability (DFM), and Design for Assembly (DFA), statistical tolerance analysis techniques, functional dimensioning, and geometric tolerancing.
- Experience with component modules (LCD, batteries, camera modules, etc.) and interconnects (FPC design and ACF bonding), a big plus
- Integration of wireless antenna (GSM, GPS, Wifi) into mechanical enclosures, a big plus
- Integration of electrical subsystems (LCD, microphone, speaker, receiver, camera)
- Unigraphics fluency desirable.
- Experience working with overseas manufacturers, a big plus