Technical Artist, AR/VR Applications
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
Are you a Technical Artist who is ready to make an impact in a new and evolving domain? The Technology Development Group at Apple is looking for people to play key roles by building amazing tools and pipelines or writing beautiful shaders for our suite of innovative AR and VR applications. As a member of this team, you'll be creating innovative solutions with regards to tools and pipeline development or bringing high fidelity art direction to life for content production of Augmented, Virtual and Mixed reality experiences. You'll bring your keen understanding of real time graphics and strong aesthetics, or pipelines and tools, to create visually stunning 3D content. Together, we'll be creating an exciting future.
- Deep knowledge of 3D art principles and 3D mathematics
- If specializing in tools and pipeline, a strong understanding and experience with designing and developing pipelines for assets and real time graphics.
- If specializing in shaders, experience with writing a mix of stylized and realistic shaders for real time use to translate concept art to runtime graphics.
- Ability to adapt to the needs of multiple projects in flight at a given time, in various stages of production.
- Experience collaborating with artists, leadership, developers and members of other teams to raise the quality of prototypes and shipping products.
- Experience with asset and code versioning tools like Git and Perforce.
- Experience optimizing runtime performance.
- Good sense of UI and UX design.
As a Technical Artist in this role, you'll be working with our team to push the limits of the next generation of interactive computing. You'll be solving entirely new challenges in this new and exciting domain. Depending on your areas of expertise as a Technical Artist, you'll be focusing on areas like asset pipelines, developing visual style and content, or be creating tools for artists in a wide range of disciplines. We have multiple, exciting projects and prototypes in various stages of production. We work with a wide range of teams developing the state of the art in augmented reality technology, and you'll be working with them to bring our vision to life.
Education & Experience
Bachelors degree (or higher) in Computer Science, Digital Art or Interactive Media OR 3-6+ years industry experience as a Technical Artist. Experience creating high quality visuals, especially with regards to real-time and AR/VR experiences.
- Proficiency in at least one DCC application like Maya, Max, Houdini or similar. Maya experience is a plus.
- Proficiency in at least one game engine like RealityKit, Scene Kit, Unreal Engine or Unity.
- Familiarity with at least one of these languages: Python, Swift, C# or C++.
- Familiarity with at least one of these shading languages: Metal, HLSL, GLSL
- Great communication and collaboration skills to work with many members of our team.
- Experience with USD or other composition formats a plus.
- Experience with modelling, rigging or other disciplines a huge plus.