Data Center Construction Team Manager
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming great products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. As the Data Center team leader you will handle all aspects of development for some of the most innovative and energy efficient data centers in the world!
- Manage and support the architects, engineers, and other specialty consultants from initial programming to construction completion.
- Ability to manage due diligence of project sites and to assist with entitlements.
- Professionally represent Apple’s interest at all meetings with Consultants, General Contractors, and Suppliers.
- Engage and maintain positive working relationships with the local jurisdictions/departments.
- Meet with internal strategic engineering groups, operations and business units to determine detailed project requirements.
- Drive both internal and external stakeholders to meet deadlines as required per the project delivery schedule.
- Create and maintain the project budget including securing internal approvals for capital funding.
- Provide budget analysis (cost models and trending) and value engineering.
- Engage and manage General Contractors to include competitive bidding and negotiation.
- Review and comment on contracts and terms and conditions as it pertains to costing and deliverables for a project or scope.
- Review all proposals and change order requests from the Consultants, General Contractor, Suppliers, and Subcontractors. Prepare and present comparative cost analysis.
- Engage and coordinate with Apple IT, Security, and the AV design and installation teams.
- Participate in analyzing potential mechanical, electrical, and process piping solutions and providing constructive feedback.
- Set up, coordinate and participate all construction meetings (OAC, BIM, Subcontractor coordination etc).
- Coordination, ordering, and installation oversight of building signage, Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) requirements, furniture, infrastructure components, and major equipment for each project.
- Prepare and present weekly status updates on project schedule, costs and cost projections.
- Experience with PLC & DDC building management systems with the ability to lead design discussions.
- Management and oversight of commissioning agents with experience in reviewing sequence of operations and test scripts.
- Ability to engage site operations team from design to project turn over.
- Deep knowledge of the construction industry, design process, and construction practices.
- Proficient in speaking English and strong written communication in English.
- Strong background in data center/commercial/industrial construction to include mechanical, electrical, process piping, plumbing building systems, tenant improvement, site work and ground up construction.
- Management of LEED certified projects.
- Skilled in reading design and construction drawings for all disciplines.
- Ability to develop cost estimates, schedules, and analyze Total Cost of Ownership (TCO).
- Experience with utility infrastructure, including construction and coordination of local utilities to site.
- Experience with the fast track design build construction model.
- Solid knowledge of data center facilities and their operation.
As the Data Center team leader you will handle all aspects of development for some of the most innovative and energy efficient data centers in the world. This management position will support our US based data center campuses, our Denmark campuses, and our future Chinese data center campuses. The role requires close coordination with project stakeholders from various teams including real estate, legal, design, EH&S, energy, construction, network and operations to bring our projects to fruition. The management responsibility will be to lead and support an 8 person construction team. YOU WILL HAVE THE FOLLOWING SKILLS • Ability to lead multiple projects including equipment upgrades and modifications within live data center production environments in parallel with new construction efforts. • Excellent planning, analytical, organization and problem solving skills. • Ability to gracefully adjust to meet changing circumstances such as reassignment of project priority, implementation of design enhancements/upgrades, and customer needs. • Ability to provide useful input on design and constructibility. • Fluent and effective verbal and written communication skills. • Must be able to establish and maintain close working relationships with management, colleagues, team members, internal and external stakeholders. • The ability to fully utilize Apple products to do your job as efficiently as possible.
Education & Experience
Prefer: - 8+ years experience as a data center (or similar) construction project manager - Construction Management or Engineering Degree