Senior Linux Systems Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Every single day, people do amazing things at Apple. Do you want to impact billions of users by developing an extraordinary product with a prime focus on accuracy, understandability and performance of the product? Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. The Internet Services Organization Hardware Systems Engineering team is looking for a Senior Linux Systems Engineer (SE) to: - Support Tier 3 production support escalations through comprehensive investigation with root cause analysis. - Provide guidance in production issue troubleshooting and debugging. - Prepare infrastructure deployment environments for changing hardware dependencies. - Inform best practices for Production teams relating to operating system and hardware interaction. - Provide critical production experience as feedback to ISO Hardware Engineering to support future data center hardware platforms. This role is a mix of individual deep dives into complex technical issues and varied interaction across Apple’s internet services organizations.
- - 8+ years of combined experience as a Linux or UNIX system administrator, system engineer, kernel or driver developer, or similar roles.
- - Display enthusiasm about Linux; tracking kernel development and major distribution releases to maintain current knowledge of operating systems features and capabilities.
- - A deep understanding of Linux operating system internals with experience building kernels, compiling drivers, providing performance tuning guidance and crash analysis.
- - Proven knowledge of Linux kernel internals (process scheduler, memory management, concurrency/synchronization, memory allocation, file systems), networking, and storage subsystems architecture.
- - Skilled with C Programming and Python.
- - Familiarity with modern configuration management tools like Puppet, Chef, or Ansible.
- - Understanding of related system technologies such as UEFI, Virtualization, Containerization, Storage volume management, and dedicated BMC out of band management.
- - Awareness of industry best operations practices regarding OS deployment, system monitoring, troubleshooting, and debugging.
- - Experience with common Hyperscale data center software applications, including Hadoop, Cassandra, and many others.
- - Ability to independently consult across teams and larger organizations to guide direction and educate a variety of technical levels on hardware/operating system interaction.
- - Show a consistent dedication to documentation and sharing knowledge.
As a Sr Linux Systems Engineer with ISO Hardware Systems Engineering, you will be the backbone of the team ensuring the production readiness and sustaining reliability of Apple’s internet services server systems. As the highest level of support escalation for Apple’s data center hardware, you will encounter the most complex problems which only a large scale deployment observes. You will have the opportunity to peel back the layers of our operating system infrastructure and provide unrivaled value in optimizing the coordination among server hardware, operating systems, and applications. You will work across a large number of teams listening to their issues, and providing guidance through your experience and industry leading knowledge. You will thoroughly document your work so others can learn, and become a mentor for others. Your work should be inspiring and an aspiration for the team, guiding those around you to help in their success. The right candidate for this role will have a lasting profound impact on Apple’s internet services and data center infrastructure.
Education & Experience
Computer Science degree or relevant experience