Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Do you love working on challenges that no one has solved yet? Do you like changing the game? Envision what you could do here. At Apple, we believe new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. This position chips in to the development and qualification of advanced lithium ion battery technology for portable power consumer applications. You will work with internal multi-functional teams to develop electrochemical models to support design of advanced algorithms for battery management systems (BMS), to simulator cell performance under a wide range of loads, operating conditions and aging mechanisms, and to validate the models to high levels of confidence.
- Four years or more of physics-based modeling of electrochemical or general transport-reaction processes and performance / safety characterization experience with emphasis on lithium ion or lithium polymer batteries.
- Strong working knowledge of Matlab
- Familiarity with applicable test equipment, test procedures, international standards and certified agency requirements applicable to rechargeable lithium battery products
- Familiarity with current state of the art production processes applicable to lithium rechargeable cells
- Experience applying quality tools and their application to development, characterization and production of lithium batteries, including statistical analysis of performance results, process capabilities, and design of experiments
- Familiarity with applicable patent field and patent application process
- Strong aptitude in mathematical modeling of linear and nonlinear dynamical systems and distributed parameter systems.
- Proven competency in numerical solutions of PDEs and ODEs
- Ability to motivate and work independently with minimal mentorship required
- Ability to interact effectively with other engineers and teams
- Strong process oriented and data driven work culture
- Self-starter with excellent time management skills and entrepreneurial spirit
- Ability to clearly understand and explain technical issues
- Ability to clearly support and justify technical decisions based on data and results
Mathematical modeling of the electrochemical behavior of lithium ion cells using partial differential equations (PDEs) or systems of ordinary differential equations (ODEs) Translate aging mechanisms into mathematical representations that can be accommodated by existing models Work with battery pack engineers to generate reduced-order models that can be used as a basis for advanced BMS designs Support development of fast charge algorithms in Apple products while handling aging of batteries Work with cell and battery engineering groups to verify accuracy of mathematical models and performance simulation of new cell designs Conduct investigations, prepare status reports related to design and performance issues, and contribute to resolving issues as required Pursue development of intellectual property to protect technology developments and secure competitive position Act as technical contact point for electrochemical characterization and mathematical modeling software, techniques and application
Education & Experience
PHD in Chemical, Mechanical, or Control Engineering.
- Travel to external vendors, suppliers and manufacturing facilities is expected