Depth Hardware Optical Characterization
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
The Camera Module Engineering team has an opening for an optical characterization engineer with experience designing and developing custom tools for characterization of optical component and system performance. Our team integrates advanced imaging and sensing technologies into a wide variety of Apple products. Join us in crafting solutions the world doesn't know of yet. Bring devices to life and enable them interact with users and the environment in ways never imagined before.
- Experience designing, developing, and qualifying custom tools for characterization of optical component and system performance.
- Experience using Python, C/C++, C#, Matlab, or similar for lab equipment control, data collection, and data analysis.
- Experience with image processing and quantitative imaging analysis – OpenCV experience is a plus.
- Experience with automation and HW/SW interaction of typical optics lab equipment - Power meters, OSAs, cameras/detectors, oscilloscopes, optical stages/mounts, etc.
- Experience supporting volume manufacturing of optical systems is a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Solid teamwork and leadership skills.
Develop and automate characterization tools for optical systems involving illumination sources (LEDs, lasers, lamps), and a variety of free-space optical elements (lenses, gratings, prisms, etc.). Algorithm development and implementation for quantitative image analysis - feature extraction, segmentation, pattern recognition etc. Primary focus is on engineering level system characterization for design validation and failure analysis/root cause identification. Cross-functional Responsibilities: Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including Optical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering and Process Engineering to deliver state-of-the-art imaging and sensing solutions. Travel to support design/production/supplier teams as necessary.
Education & Experience
M.S/PhD in Optics, Physics, Electrical Engineering, or Computer Science, with 5-10 years industry experience preferred.