Mechanical Design Engineer - Exploratory Design Group
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. Dynamic, smart people and inspiring, innovative technologies are the norm here. The people who work here have reinvented entire industries with all Apple Hardware products. The same passion for innovation that goes into our products also applies to our practices strengthening our commitment to leave the world better than we found it. Join us to help deliver the next groundbreaking Apple product. Do you love working on challenges that no one has solved yet? As a member of our dynamic group, you will have the unrivaled and rewarding opportunity to craft upcoming products that will delight and inspire millions of Apple’s customers every single day. We are looking to add a Mechanical Design Engineer to the team. Day to day job responsibilities include working with cross functional teams to understand and define system design requirements, mechanical analysis, CAD work, part fabrication, and testing of as built parts/assemblies. Mechanical analysis includes thermal, stress, and tolerance modeling. A common cross functional group to interact with is optical engineering and many design tasks in this mechanical design role involves optomechanical work.
- 3+ years proven modeling/mechanical design involving a variety of fabrication processes, drawings, tolerancing, and vendor engagement to yield assemblies that meet design intent.
- 3+ years consumer electronics design with a deep understanding of system level tradeoffs (thermals, mechanicals, power, reliability, cost, etc.) as well as detail design of associated components
- 3+ years integrating optics (lasers, CCDs, lenses, gratings, etc) into consumer electronics devices
- PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Experience in designing precision parts for use within complex assemblies (e.g., mounting custom optics in a compact system)
- Finite element analysis (thermal and/or structural modeling)
- Optical raytrace (FRED/Zemax) experience
- NX modeling/drafting
- Silicon fabrication and processing
- Chip packaging experience (die bonding, wire bonding)
As a Mechanical Design Engineer, you will have the following responsibilities: - Working with optical engineers, importing raytrace simulations, and developing mechanical systems around custom optics - Working with electrical engineers to interconnect active optomechanical systems and integrate control PCBs/ICs - Work with other specialists to iterate on your designs to yield robust mechanical systems that can be fabricated and assembled with minimal complexity - Understand and communicate different design approaches and associated tradeoffs - Participate in cross-functional system design reviews - Balance multiple high priority tasks
Education & Experience
Minimum BS in ME required.