Streaming Interactive Media Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
Apple revolutionizes how people interact with technology. We take great ideas, apply hard work and total dedication to the customer experience, and produce great products and services that our customers can't live without. Our commitment to excellence and our creativity enable our customers to do amazing things. We build technology that inspires people. What inspires you? Creating something new and finding solutions for complex problems? Delighting millions of people across the planet and working with world-class innovators? All of the above? Then we want to talk to you about this job opportunity. Apple's Technology Development Group works with advanced technologies, including the augmented reality (AR) platform ARKit and Metal 2, to create ground-breaking new products. We are looking for a full stack software engineer with experience in game streaming and interactive media streaming (video, audio), to work with our team of high-performing and risk-taking innovators to create software that is out of this world.
- Deep understanding of networked games and interactive media systems
- Strong proficiency in C/C++, Java, or Python
- Working knowledge of GPU programming and software frameworks (Metal, OpenGL, DirectX, etc.)
- 5+ years experience designing and implementing full stack software
- Analysis and troubleshooting skills using network tools such as WireShark
- Experience with audio/video codecs and compression techniques
- Experience with, or a strong desire to learn, machine learning technology
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Excellent problem solving and analytical thinking skills
- Real passion for Apple’s mission and products
Your responsibilities will include designing and implementing streaming software that dynamically adjusts to network conditions. You will work on backend services, GPU programming, network protocols, and client-side software frameworks. Achieve a smooth user experience, using a variety of innovative techniques, including machine learning. Your skills with analyzing and tuning the full software stack will be critical as well. You will work in a small team of software engineers to build new services with cloud and edge compute, as well as integrate new features into Apple services. Looking for a world-class group of technologists to work with? Want in from the start of an all-new software stack, where you will be expected to have architectural input and influence? Are you curious and love learning new things, whether it’s machine learning, networking, or media processing? As a self-starter that prefers to work with a great team, you may be the engineer we are looking for. Especially if you like to have fun with the people you work with!
Education & Experience
BS CS or equivalent
- - Any of MacOS/iOS/Objective-C/Swift/Metal programming experience is a big plus
- - Exposure to adaptive streaming technologies such as HTTP Live Streaming (HLS), DASH, etc., is a plus
- - Familiarity with 3D graphics rendering technology and techniques: LOD, spatial and temporal locality, frustum culling, etc.
- - Full-stack services development experience, apart from streaming media, is nice to have
- - Some experience with Java or other JVM languages (Scala, Clojure) and technology stack is nice to have
- - 3D Graphics development (Unreal, Unity, other engines) experience is nice to have
- Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.