Lead Opto-Mechanical Design Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Design, prototype, develop and support next-generation Camera / Sensing Technologies in Apple products. Our team develops state of the art Camera and Sensing solutions that are central to Apple’s products, including the iPhone, iPad, watch, MacBooks, and more. The key goal of the Camera / Sensing team is to enable the world’s best user-experience. New challenges arise everyday that require the sharp analytical skills of talented and smart individuals. To be successful, you should be able to thrive in a dynamic, agile, multi-disciplinary, and hands-on environment that values engineering excellence, creativity, and innovation. Come, join us in crafting premier solutions!
- Strong background and experience in mechanical design, 3D modeling, prototyping, development, and project leadership.
- Scientific method, experimental process, root cause analysis, tolerance analysis.
- Excellent critical analysis, and logic/reasoning skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and people skills; ability to interact with management, team members and external vendors.
- Experience with applied knowledge in flex circuits, printed circuit boards, material science, basic physics and basic chemistry.
- Experience with optics, camera, and sensor technologies.
- Experience and expertise with hands-on prototyping tools is required.
Key Responsibilities: - Research, ideation, new and existing technology proposals for new UX, mechanical architecture, mechanical design and prototype development for camera and sensing incubation team. - Contribute to mechanical design architecture activities. - Brainstorm, design and implement infrastructure for characterization and validation of camera and sensor technologies to enable products and teams. - Generate innovative ideas with cross-functional teams. - Go-to-person for production/manufacturability standard methodologies and guidelines. - Mentor junior engineers on ME design Apple practices & processes - Participate in incubation brainstorm and design reviews. - Responsible for functional prototype fabrication, assembly bring up, debug, and testing. - Responsible for mechanical design using 3D CAD, failure analysis and problem solving. - Identify new ME technologies or ME technology trends that can benefit or can be integrated into future UX explorations or products. This includes working with Apple teams and engaging external companies/suppliers. - Select and co-ordinate 3rd-party ME technology evaluations and reports.
Education & Experience
- MSME with minimum 7 years of electro-mechanical industry experience, including minimum 3 years of opto- mechanical design experience.
- Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.