Motion Sensing Hardware Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
You will play a key role in specifying, developing, characterizing, and validating motion sensing systems. You should be familiar with MEMS sensor technologies such as inertial sensor performance metrics, inertial sensor usage and limitations, and system integration. The Motion Sensing Hardware Team features a collaborative environment with creative, smart people and state of the art technologies. This team defines and integrates MEMS accelerometers and gyroscopes across a variety of Apple products such as iPhones, iPads, Watch, and MacBooks. Engineering excellence and thoroughness, invention and patent creation are expected, encouraged and supported. Opening up the boundaries to design and ship innovative products with exclusive technologies and user experiences is the main goal of this sensing technology team at Apple.
- 4+ years of hands-on experience and proven track record in sensing system hardware engineering.
- Fundamental knowledge and experience in physics, mechanical, electrical, and material science engineering.
- Practical understanding of accelerometers and gyroscopes.
- Experience interfacing microcontrollers with analog and digital sensors.
- Practical knowledge of C/C++, embedded programming, and signal processing.
- Solid board bring-up and debugging skills.
- Proficient in data collection, data analysis, and statistical analysis tools (Matlab, Python, JMP).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and solid collaboration and leadership skills.
- The willingness and ability to travel are required.
Core Responsibilities: -Develop and support qualification hardware and procedures to validate sensor specifications in system. -Diagnose engineering issues with true scientific method driving to definitive root cause. -Identify, create, and document new sensing system metrics that deliver performance and matter to customer perception. -Support internal proof-of-concept hardware and software developments for new application investigations. -Work cross-functionally to identify and specify critical performance parameters and error sensitivities. -Develop measurement methods and equipment that are repeatable, reproducible, and automated as appropriate to enable thorough validation coverage of sensors on tight development schedules. -Support engineering build activities with performance validation measurements, yield optimization, and failure analysis coordination. -Work with suppliers to proactively identify and resolve issues. -Analyze trade-offs among performance, manufacturability, size, schedule and cost. -Travel to supplier facilities and manufacturing sites for production validation and issues resolution. -Create and help improve engineering requirements specifications for sensors. -Prepare and deliver presentations to clearly communicate technical status, risks and mitigation strategies for ongoing sensing system programs.
Education & Experience
Requires PhD degree in engineering or BS/MS degree plus a minimum of 4 years of relevant industry experience.
- You will work with us from Apple's headquarters in Cupertino, California and participate in international travel, as the team goes on-site for manufacturing support to ensure success. It's one of the most exciting aspects of the job.
- Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.