Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Do you have a passion for invention and self-challenge? Do you thrive on pushing the limits of what’s considered feasible? As part of our Battery Engineering group, you’ll help craft creative battery solutions that deliver more energy in smaller spaces than ever before. You’ll work across disciplines to transform improved hardware elements into a single, integrated design. Join us, and you’ll help us innovate new battery technologies that continually outperform the previous iterations. By collaborating with other product development groups across Apple, you’ll push the industry boundaries of what batteries can do and improve the product experience for our customers across the world. This position works for Battery/Cell Development teams within HW Engineering to identify trends, mine data, and help battery team improve quality. Many Apple devices contain a “gas gauge” that monitors product performance. This data, as well as System data is tracked by Apple database. In and of itself, Apple database can be very valuable to mine data, but can also be transformed to time series, and potentially stitched with other Apple DB’s for additional effectiveness. The ultimate goal is to improve battery quality by using data and working with SME’s (Subject Matter Expert) to prevent significant customer events Additional goals include high quality Apple database data and automating necessary reports. Work with time series analysis to analyze battery performance over time. Work with Privacy to ensure data is used in accordance with Apple privacy policies.
- 5-10 years as data scientist or database engineer
- Strong working knowledge of Minitab, JMP, SQL, or Tableau
- Solid competency in statistics, working knowledge of data mining algorithms including decision trees, probability networks, association rules, clustering, regression, and neural networks
- Some knowledge of cell and pack battery engineering will help to facilitate creative insight to data analysis.
- Experience with Apache Spark, Hadoop, Cassandra or other big data technologies.
- Data Engineering or Data Mining experience with manufacturing systems a plus
- Self-starter with entrepreneurial experience and ability to interact with other functions in matrix environment
- Proven Creativity to go beyond current tools to deliver best solution to the problem Familiarity with database modeling and data warehousing principles with a working knowledge of SQL
- Strong programming skills in Python, or similar language
- Preferred - Working knowledge of Demming (quality philosophy of prevention)
•Understand end to end nature of Apple DB to organize proper sample size, proper key pull and minimize SQA issues with maximum efficiency •Learn and manage the workflow to design jobs to answer questions, design, implement, process and interpret data •Develop data pipeline that allows regular reporting to visual data •Utilize advanced technologies, for modeling enhancements •Work with diverse teams including data scientists, engineers, product managers, and executives. •Deliver high quality analytics insights from a very large scale data warehouse •Set up quality reporting system for sharing information. •Provide ad-hoc reporting as necessary (sometimes urgent escalation) •Develop methods to deliver the highest quality data cleansing
Education & Experience
MS or Ph.D. in Data Mining, Machine Learning, Statistics, Operations Research or related field
- Travel < 25%