Sr Software Engineer - Search Platform Engineering, Apple Media Products
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
The Apple Media Products (iTunes) Search Team is looking for extraordinary engineers to help build next-generation search features for Apple's ground breaking devices and platforms. We are a key part of the Apple ecosystem, supporting millions of users and billions of transactions. iTunes Store and related platforms are the largest online marketplace for Apps, Music, Movies, Books, Podcasts and more on iOS, macOS, tvOS and watchOS. We operate in hundreds of countries and dozens of languages. We strive to provide the best search experience for our customers.
- 5+ years of relevant industry experience building and scaling fault-tolerant distributed systems
- Experience developing high quality, high performance server software in Java
- Hands on experience across the software engineering stack, including core backend systems, APIs, data pipelines, and infrastructure
- Experience in the design and delivery of sophisticated production infrastructure systems
- Strong production debugging and performance tuning skills
- Our customers love what we do at Apple and we want the same from our engineers - Passion for building the best systems!
- Deep understanding of the search and information retrieval fundamentals including indexing, query understanding, retrieval and ranking
- Experience building search solutions using Lucene / Solr / Elasticsearch or related search technologies
- Experience building real-time data ingestion pipelines using big data / streaming technologies like Kafka, Spark, Hadoop, Akka etc
- Familiarity developing and integrating microservices
- Familiarity with A/B experimentation and data/metric-driven product development
In this role you will: - Have a major impact on the way people search & discover Apple Media content on more than a billion active Apple devices worldwide. - Work on improving and scaling next generation Search across Apple Media Products: iTunes, App Store, Apple Music, Apple TV, Podcasts, iBooks etc - Build search server side features & infrastructure to better support recall, relevance, ranking, real-time indexing, and personalization - Contribute to a very large scale system, full stack search strategy involving query/document processing, retrieval, multi-round scoring, and result set analysis - Enhance the performance and reliability of the core search platform - Design & Implement solutions for automated unit and integration tests that enable continuous integration and delivery - Work cross-functionally with various engineering teams
Education & Experience
Bachelors in Computer Science or related discipline, Masters or PhD preferred. Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.