Newsroom Copy Editor
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Marcom is Apple’s Global Marketing Communications group. We oversee all of Apple’s advertising and marketing to ensure the flawless development and execution of world-class communications. The Newsroom breaks news of Apple products and initiatives; we are the official word from Apple. We craft Newsroom stories in collaboration with a variety of team members spanning Corporate Communications, Marcom, Product Marketing, and other teams across Apple. Newsroom stories are published on apple.com/newsroom, in a channel in the Apple News app, and are localized for Apple Newsrooms and other media across the globe. As a Newsroom Copy Editor, you will work with the Newsroom Copywriter to edit and hone stories developed by the Corporate Communications team. In this role, you’ll be checking for grammar, tense, voice, character count and correct proper names for each Newsroom story. You will also be tracking edits from multiple team members. You’ll occasionally write captions, shorten or rework headlines or subheads, and otherwise collaborate with the Corporate Communications story lead to craft accurate, objective, and concise Newsroom copy.
- You have at least five to seven years of related experience within news media, editorial publication, digital agency, and / or in-house creative group for a major or upcoming brand.
- You have significant editorial and proofreading experience at a premier publication, design or financial firm, corporate marketing communications department, or ad agency.
- You have extraordinary attention to detail and the ability to be flexible, to adapt quickly to change, and to focus and prioritize in a dynamic environment.
- You have a firm grounding in U.S. English style (AP Style, Strunk & White, etc.), usage, grammar, and punctuation, and are familiar with standard style and usage guides.
- You are aware of current SEO best practices.
- You remain curious, ask questions, and dig deep to find solutions.
- Your dream is to work in a creative, dynamic, and challenging work environment.
- You are willing to work when called for (sometimes late, early, on-the-fly).
Edit and proofread Newsroom copy for multiple stories. Track text changes coming from Corporate Communications, Product Marketing, executives, and peer reviews within an Apple Newsroom copy deck format. Ensure proper names, Apple product and brand names and dates are used in the review process. Craft concise metadata and recommend the right words to hyperlink. Review each CMS build to ensure correct implementation of the latest copy. Communicate updates to Geo Newsroom teams for localization of each post, as necessary. Occasionally re-write headlines, subheads, captions, and copy as part of editing and peer review process. Work with Copywriter to document and implement Apple Newsroom copy style for broader Corporate Communications and Marcom teams