Motion Sensing Digital ASIC Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Are you looking for a position that heavily utilizes your design and engineering skills to develop and ship some of the most admired electronic products in the world? A job that constantly comes at you with the most interesting challenges that exercise every aspect of design, development, communication, and delivery that you trained so hard for? This posting is more than a job. It is an opportunity to join a collaborative environment of some of the brightest mindsets in the industry, and to push the limits of your engineering skills to new heights, all while learning every day about the new technologies that change lives. The Motion Sensing Hardware Team is searching for enthusiastic, results driven candidates that specialize in digital ASIC implementation, firmware and low-level development. Candidates with extensive experience in defining, executing, and validating digital systems are urged to apply. The Motion Sensing Hardware Team features a collaborative environment with creative, smart people and cutting edge technologies. This team defines and integrates MEMS, magnetic and capacitive sensors across a variety of Apple products such as iPhones, iPads, Watch, MacBooks, and accessories. Engineering excellence, thoroughness, invention and patent creation are expected and supported. The main goal of this sensing technology team at Apple is to open up the boundaries of design and ship innovative products with best-in-class technologies and user experiences.
- Experience in digital ASIC implementation: major building blocks: filters, FIFO blocks, clocks and PLL, and design techniques and practices involved within
- Excellent hardware skills: The ability to read and understand datasheets and application notes. Experience with EDA tools and PCB design. Familiarity with the design of major circuit building blocks: ADC, power supplies, amplifiers, filters, and oscillators. Experience with using electronics lab equipment like oscilloscopes, power supplies, spectrum analyzers, and others.
- Experience in generic troubleshooting techniques: problem isolation, parametric sweep analysis, regression testing, identification of faulty test setup.
- Software development: Firmware development for a variety of microprocessors. Low level understanding of compiler toolchains and processor organization
- RTL design: Experience with FPGA level implementation, timing closure, and power analysis
- The ability and willingness to produce work that is conforming to design standards defined by the team.
- High interest in learning and development of skills mentioned above.
- Team player, with proven skills in time management, meeting deadlines, producing reliable test results, and working to continually improve testing methodologies.
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills.
- Define ASIC digital interface requirements, including digital verification (pre and post silicon) plans, and timing and power specifications - Own the effort to align these specifications with cross-functional teams. Close the loop in providing feedback and revisions to the design - Prepare and deliver executive presentations to clearly communicate technical status, risks and mitigation strategies - Write and maintain scalable, configurable software to capture and analyze data, and present results - Design/execute experiments that drive root cause analysis of motion sensor module failures - Assist team members with development of hardware/software infrastructure that enhance operational efficiency and eliminate repetitive work - Business travel is required for product development
Education & Experience
- Requires a Bachelor Degree in Electrical, Electronics, or Computer Engineering. Academic and professional experience in ASIC design and development are highly encouraged.
- You will work with us from Apple's headquarters in Cupertino, California and participate in international travel, as the team goes on-site for manufacturing support to ensure success. It's one of the most exciting aspects of the job.
- Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.